Keg / Carboy Washer (yes another) . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up things to make one from home depot...they had the right parts this time! Since I hate going to HD and trying to find the right parts which they never seem to have (this was my 4th time trying to get to HD and buy what I needed) - I thought I'd post the parts I bought so anyone else can just try and order these online. I'll be assembling this tonight to make sure everything works as planned.

I have the 1400GPH Harbor Freight 1/4HP Pump which has a 1" FPT outlet. If your pump has a different outlet fitting, adjust accordingly. Also - I didn't have room for the 10ft length of 1/2" PVC, and nobody was around to help me cut it so i just got 2 2' PVC pipes instead...same price as 10ft, but they were there...and it'll get it done.

In any case here are the parts I used

012871626494 @ $0.64
1" x 1/2" PVC Bushing

012871626050 @ $0.50
1" PVC Male Adapter

2x 012871623714 @ $0.36
1/2" PVC Elbow 90 SlipxFPT

012871624810 @ $1.21
1/2" PVC Cross SlipxSlipxSlipxSlip

012871628283 @ $0.26
1/2" PVC Cap Slip

2x 697285604889 @ $2.14
3/8 Barb x 1/2MPT PEX Brass Male Adapter

2x 611942112579 @ $0.94
1/2" x 2' PVC Pipe

Total Cost $9.49 + Tax + Pump

Marked for the parts list

I was wondering whay all the designs have elbows in them?

Why not just attach the brass parts to the "x" part?

Bump.

I finally got my washer done today.

20130811_120914_zpse3fc421b.jpg

The only issue I have is connecting my ball lock disconnects. The tubing I got is good on the 3/8" barb end of the washer, but the swivel barbs on my ball lock disconnects are too small. Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just figured out the line will slide over the threads of the disconnect. No barb needed. Think before you post! :smack:

I built my version of one of these a couple of weeks ago:

I had intended to buy a 1/6 HP pump at Harbor Freight for $52 minus 25%. But it is a pain in the arse to get there. I was driving home from somewhere and saw a Tractor Supply store. I wound up buying a 1/4 HP pump there. It was $10 more but I did not have to drive 30min each way to Harbor Freight. I used an old fermenter and bought a large 18gal round tub at Home Depot for $5.99. The PVC was also picked up at Home Depot and the whole thing was assembled in under an hour.

The pump:

The large hole fits over the pump and the small holes drain the water.

The PVC assembly with a valve to isolate the flow to the keg disconnects.

18-gal container

The assembled pump. The whole thing sits inside the large blue container.

A nozzle made from lawn irrigation parts

This thing should have it's own infomercial. If only Billy Mays were still with us, he could pitch this thing. The ShamWow guy is apparently making a comeback, but this thing is so cool, I'm afraid he may try to mount it :eek:

Today, I brewed and got to try out some of the "extra attachments". I have a shorter post for things like kettles and I discovered that the nozzle on the top is great for blasting a jet of water through my hoses.

Tall pipe removed and short pipe installed:

15gal brew kettle fits very nicely with the short pipe. The handles rest on the sides of the round container:

For my MT, I put the lid back on the smaller bucket:

The MT sits on top. This is my version of a funky Braumeister. There is a false bottom that sits above the cutout:

This little nozzle makes cleaning tubing easy:

*Bump for newer brewers*

I was absent for a while but you all have done great with the design and build ideas. Keep them coming. :mug:

I have used a sump 1/8 hp pump for one of these and my line cleaner for a while. Having an oil sealed motor finally convinced me to get a new pump.

I ended up selecting a lifegard pg 6600. It cost me 155 on sale, but no oil and work similar to a sump. Hardest part was stepping down from a 2" outlet to 1".

Latest posts

Back