Making your own oak barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this or looked into it? I realize it's not easy at all. That said I want to give it a go. Any input would be appreciated.

I watched a show on the jack Daniels distillery and they had a segment on their barrel making process. It was intense and looked incredibly hard. I think I would encourage you to look into buying one or use wood chips in order to save time/money/frustration. If you do try, i can offer no help; my hats off to you, and good luck!

The equipment that is used to make a whiskey barrel are extremely expensive and dangerous! Unless you know some rustic fellows with experience, I don't think it would be feasible.

It seems that anything that involves a particular name for the person who makes such is going to be complicated. Old barrel makers were known as coopers. In other words it wasn't something your average farmer did between sowing and reaping.

That said, there is the term "brewmeister" which doesn't seem to intimidate any of us. So, I say go for it and post a thread so we can all follow you.

It seems that anything that involves a particular name for the person who makes such is going to be complicated. Old barrel makers were known as coopers. In other words it wasn't something your average farmer did between sowing and reaping.

That said, there is the term "brewmeister" which doesn't seem to intimidate any of us. So, I say go for it and post a thread so we can all follow you.

I'm trying to get my dad to make it (he's the handy one) and I'm going to make the product to go inside. I'll make sure he documents his progress though for everyone else should we embark on this!

I can't possibly imagine making a barrrel from scratch. Unless you have a source for the staves, that seems like an eternity of work. Then putting on the straps, those things don't just slide on, it takes a lot of pressure to get them on. Seems to me the price of a barrel is a bargain compared to the work you'd have to put into it to make your own. That being said, if your father enjoys the process and the challenge, more power to him. Heck, we all brew our own beer, it's definitely easier to just go buy the stuff. It's the enjoyment that's the pay off, right?

I'm definitely interested to see how this goes.

Has anyone ever done this or looked into it? I realize it's not easy at all. That said I want to give it a go. Any input would be appreciated.

I think some 'folks skills' school has a cooperage class, where maybe you can make a small barrel. If you're trying it on your own, keep in mind that the traditional apprenticeship for coopers lasted around 7 years, a good indicator of how complicated the process is. The wood has to be aged specially, with a mold or maybe lichen that does something to the wood. French oak barrels are made from split rather than sawn wood, although American oak barrels are made with sawn wood, part of why French oak is considered superior for many applications. There are a number of specialized tools required as well. I'd bet you'll end up with a multi-thousand dollar barrel, or a partial barrel, at the end of the project. I had the same idea a few years ago before realizing it was nuts. :D

Back