Fermentation done 2.1% abv?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britinusa

Reaction score
I brewed a Northern brewer all grain kit, Irish red ale 2 weeks ago, the original gravity was 1.048 I checked it on 4/4/13 and it was 1.031, today I checked and its still 1.031 thats only 2.2%abv.
I worked out I should have a final gravity of 1.011
Has fermentation stalled?
Do I need to re pitch yeast?

I used a wyeast smackpack fermented at 67f mashed at 165F,
I had really vigorous fermentation in the first week.

Britinusa said:
I used a wyeast smackpack fermented at 67f mashed at 165F,
I had really vigorous fermentation in the first week.

Mashed at 165F ?

That's quite high, if it's not a typo you might be done.

Are you using a hydrometer (checked in water as Yooper suggested) or a refractometer?

Sorry that was a typo mashed at 153f I use a refractometer and do the conversion to allow for alcohol.

I would double check with a hydrometer, maybe the conversion you are using is off for this beer.

Have you tasted it? If it is sweeter than you expect, then you might be stuck. If you are, you could try increasing temp and rousing the yeast. Any idea how old the smack pack was? I always do a starter with those, but if it was old you could have stressed the yeast.

You said it was a vigorous ferment though, so I'd still guess the real gravity is lower than the corrected refractometer estimate.

2.2% abv? Worse than my 2.6% I brewed a few weeks ago. I need help too.

Going shopping at the local HBS tomorrow think i will get a hydrometer.

Well i took a hydrometer read its at 1.020, going to leave it a few days and read again.

I had the same issue not getting very good FG. Left one in the fermenter for 4 weeks and ended with 1.030. My issue was both my thermometers were off by 10 degrees, mashing at about 165. Got a digital thermo and now all is good except for a pile of sweet low abv beers 0.o

Sorry that was a typo mashed at 153f I use a refractometer and do the conversion to allow for alcohol.

the conversions need to be checked with a hydrometer for an accurate #. the conversions are just a ballpark and only useful for seeing when the #'s stop changing while needing a small sample.

While your getting the hydrometer and checking its accuracy in distilled water, check the accuracy of the thermometer you use. There's nothing like the sinking feeling of discovering your thermometer is off by several degrees.

Latest posts

Back