Help cloning an English Mild with limited recipe info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatshowyougetants

Reaction score
I want to clone a beer (an english mild), but the brewery doesn't share their recipes.

This is what I know about the ingredients:
Hops: Galena (I'm guessing for bitterring) and Willamette (I'm guessing for aroma).
Malts: they use Extra Special, and Victory. Then at least one other type, I thought I heard 'black' for color... but the final beer is not really dark (perhaps 18-20 SRM).

From the brewery's website I know this about the beer:
ABV: 4.2%
OG: 1.042
IBU: 15

If I did all-grain brewing I might be more capable of taking a stab at a clone, but I do extract + steeping grains brewing... I don't think there are Extra Special or Victory malt extract. So is it possible to go from knowing what malts they use to developing a good extract + steeping grains recipe?

Many thanks for any help! :mug:

It would be much more helpful if you can actually give us the name of the beer/brewery.

Extra special malt is essentially a special B variation and victory is another type of biscuit malt. There is no reason to not use these in an extract/steep recipe. Black malt or another roasted malt could very well be the third malt variety. Do you know what type of pale malt they are using? Really need more details...

Thanks for the reply. The beer is ______ by __________. Any additional help is greatly appreciated.

I guess I'm showing my inexperience but how would I use Extra Special and Victory in an extract / steep recipe. I would have to choose a light base extract, and steep those specialty grains? Is it possible to do it this way and get equivalent flavors to mashing those grains?

Could Extra Special malt be ESB Malt (like that made by Gambrinus)? That would be a base pale malt rather than the Briess extra special malt bierhaus is talking about.

Latest posts

Back