509inc's Pump in a Toolbox Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
Just a build thread for my pump in a toolbox project. Feedback always appreciated.

Here we go. My first purchase after a bonus at work starting burning a hole in my pocket.
20130330_115743_zps6e612971.jpg

Went to HomeDepot and found a tool box that looked perfect for the idea I had going. Brought it home and started hacking away to make the holes for the gang boxes.
20130330_175839_zpsa29f1412.jpg

Lesson learned on the first hole. The saw I had was not the best tool. On the second hole I drilled lots of holes around the outline the gang box then used a razor blade to cut and clean the edges. That made a perfect fit.
20130331_095429_zpsf0b83158.jpg

Time to map out the plumbing.
20130331_104536_zps50628c36.jpg

This is what I came up with. Im not sure about having a ball valve on a quick disconnect, but I would like to be able to disconnect it and store in the box. Also considering the quick disconnects for the inlet side.
20130331_110125_zps549c4f7f.jpg

Now I have to wait till Monday to buy the rest of the fittings.

Thoughts?

What are the bulkhead fittings you are going to use? In the dwg I see tubing leading to barbs and couplers, but I don't see how you are going to connect any of this to the walls of the box.

My main concern would be protection the tubing from getting damaged and then filling the box with wort.

What are the bulkhead fittings you are going to use? In the dwg I see tubing leading to barbs and couplers, but I don't see how you are going to connect any of this to the walls of the box.

I planned on first seeing how sturdy just using the threads of the female quick disconnects NPT through to the wall to the coupling.

isnt the point of the toolbox to separate the "wet" parts of the pump from the "electrical" parts of the pump? aka head on outside, motor on inside?

if something leaks here, all that water just pools in an out of sight, closed tool box until...."POP"

Yeah I am banking on nothing leaking here. Perhaps my goal of enclosing the pump within the box is a pipe dream.

There's nothing wrong with enclosing the pump motor in a tool box. I did an it worked just fine. But enclosing the pump head - the wet parts - is not such a good idea for the reasons mentioned already. If you decide to enclose the entire pump in the toolbox you should mount the pump on a piece of 1 inch thick wood and drill a couple of drain holes in the side of the box. That way if it does leak the pump is elevated off the floor of the box, it won't accumulate to kill the pump and you'll have a visible indication that there is a leak.

I built one in which the head is sticking out of the box, as described by some above. I have the template for cutting the hole and the drill holes. If anyone wants me to email them the template (right from March Pump), PM me your email address and I'll fire it over to you.

I cut my hole without the template. It was not obvious where to put the drill holes.

I just picked up all the fittings needed to mount the pump entirely in the tool box with a female disconnect on each side of the box for inlet and outlet. The ball valve will have a male disconnect for storing in the box when not in use. Going all stainless I may have the most expensive pump in a box. :pipe:

However I would be interested in seeing your template passedpawn in case I end up going that route. PM headed your way.

I just picked up all the fittings needed to mount the pump entirely in the tool box with a female disconnect on each side of the box for inlet and outlet. The ball valve will have a male disconnect for storing in the box when not in use. Going all stainless I may have the most expensive pump in a box. :pipe:

However I would be interested in seeing your template passedpawn in case I end up going that route. PM headed your way.

It's on its way. It's not really a template, but the drawing of the pump face.

Anyone know what size hole saw I will need to drill a hole for a 1/2" NPT fitting?

Home Depot does not carry the receptacle I need. So lame.

Made some progress tonight. Just waiting on the receptical for power in to the box.

ForumRunner_20130403_220606.jpg

ForumRunner_20130403_220639.jpg

ForumRunner_20130403_220658.jpg

why the hose and hose barbs as opposed to a SS nipple in each location?

Not sure to tell the truth. I just had Northern Brewer's fittings page up when I was drawing out the plumbing. So I pieced it together based on what options they had. I get 10% discount there is why I based the build on their fittings page.

If there is a better way or any improvement suggestions I am all ears. Feedback is welcome.

So far I am under budget(even though I am hundreds in already) and making changes would not be a big deal.

Put the pump to work today. Better than I expected. Just need one last cover for the switch.
20130407_120844_zpsc0bdfdfc.jpg

Back