Bad to use 6 month old yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanddr

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing an ale that has an OG of 1.042-1.046. I have a brand new pack of Wyeast 1056 that came with the kit but I also have 2 packs that are exactly 6 months old that have been in the fridge that I would like to get rid of.
My question is, am I doing more harm than good if I pitch the new pack along with one or both of the old packs? I dont have the necessary items to create a starter to see if the old packs are viable and just thought I'd pitch them all at the same time. Any harm if the old packs arent viable? (at least there is a new pack with good yeast to do the fermentation).

I have no idea. People have said it isn't good to use old yeast, but I want to see what others have to say, so I'll bump this thread :p and just to add on to the questions (sorry), what happens if yeast is exposed to air for about a month and a half? Still useable?

I've been told both ways on old yeast. One was "It's food for the good yeast" and I've been told "It will give you off flavors". I've had a few packs that were old and after opening them and smelling them... I wasn't going to put it into my beer! I'll tell you this, if you have a good new pack putting the old ones in probably won't help. They are not needed.

People have used year old yeast and produced good brews. If you read the forum enough, you'll see this. For liquid yeast, just make a starter to reproduce the good yeast that are still hanging around.
I buy 3 month old liquid yeast for $1 and have had no issues with off flavors or smells or anything.

I'm attempting to use some yeast slurry I saved from 6 months ago. I don't know how it will turn out, but the starter is going and I'll check on it tomorrow. Sunday is the brew day, so if this doesn't work, it gives me at least 24 hours to make a new starter.

You can do this. I just don't know if I would bother, especially since you are not making a starter. If you only had the old packs, I would suggest using both to attempt a starter, if things go well, pitch that bad boy.

I'm attempting to use some yeast slurry I saved from 6 months ago. I don't know how it will turn out, but the starter is going and I'll check on it tomorrow. Sunday is the brew day, so if this doesn't work, it gives me at least 24 hours to make a new starter.

So the starter I have going now is turning out very well. It's a wyeast irish ale (I think 1084). There's a layer of krausen forming at the top and a creamy bottom layer as well. No weird smells or anything strange looking. Years of evolution and we worry if 6 months of cold will effect it. :rockin: Hope that inspires you to hope for the best!

I'm going to be brewing an ale that has an OG of 1.042-1.046. I have a brand new pack of Wyeast 1056 that came with the kit but I also have 2 packs that are exactly 6 months old that have been in the fridge that I would like to get rid of.
My question is, am I doing more harm than good if I pitch the new pack along with one or both of the old packs? I dont have the necessary items to create a starter to see if the old packs are viable and just thought I'd pitch them all at the same time. Any harm if the old packs arent viable? (at least there is a new pack with good yeast to do the fermentation).

Get a starter kit and never have this problem again.

I just pitched some washed wb-06 that is 6 months old. I let it get to room temp, swirled and pitched. The wort took 8 hours till signs of fermentation. I am by far no expert or perhaps just lucky..

Back