How Many Batches Before You Made A Dumper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fixing to dump #3, a dry stout that has a strong plastic taste to it....also the LHBS guy tasted it and picked up hints of "goat". Not reassuring.

Going to save a few though until after I brew up a couple experimental batches of same this weekend to find out where the flavor came from.

I made about 5 batches before getting an infection that caused the beer to go bad and haven't had one since. I made an altbier last year that was never good, even after months of lagering. I finally took it out of the keezer last month, but I haven't dumped it yet. No reason, I guess, but I have plenty of kegs. It's not getting better, though. I'd call it a dumper, I'm just too lazy to clean the keg it's in.

Lol One time about 20 years ago I went a bit overboard. I used a ****load of hops, about 2 ounces of grated ginger root and 4oz of spruce essence in a 5 gal batch. the taste still haunts my memory. It tasted similar to how "Coast" deodorant soap smells. ROTFLMAO

I've never made a dumper, but I have made a "my sphincter tightens at the thought of drinking it" ale many years ago.

brokebucket said:
I am fixing to dump #3, a dry stout that has a strong plastic taste to it....also the LHBS guy tasted it and picked up hints of "goat". Not reassuring.

Going to save a few though until after I brew up a couple experimental batches of same this weekend to find out where the flavor came from.

Plastic taste is usually chlorine. Goaty taste is usually lacto. Did you use chlorinated water?

Back