The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what a great site he has quickly skimmed threw it there is quite a bit of info there gj!:ban:

the corn syrup and molasses are secret ingredients of pizza place I worked at in Atlanta

some of the best pizza I've ever had

I'm glad this thread got started. Every pizza I've made at home didn't turn out very well. Since I make "professional" beer at home I'd love to learn how to make real pizza.

Pizza sauce

makes 2 cups ish
Hey my sauce is a good sauce recipe i also rarely use measure
2C tomatoe puree
1C water
1 onion
4 clove garlic
1T parsley
.5T oregano
.5T basil
1t salt
1t pepper
1t sugar
.5C red wine

saute onion for 5-10 min med-low
after onion golden and translucent add minced garlicsaute another 5 mins or so
add the rest of ingredients and simmer for 30 to 45 min
then use roughly one cup sauce per pie

nice thread! I was making knockoff pizza hut pizza's a few years ago. found the recipe online somewhere. It was pretty good.

can you guys tell me more about the machines you are using to make your dough/crust. Bread machine???

yes it was a couple years back it was a chicken bbq sauce pizza , wish i could reember cook times and all that but it was great!

i cant remember if we pre cooked it or smoked it for a couple mins and then cooked it.

I've made many za's in all different ways. In the end, my feeling was the secret is in the way you cook it.
Last year I ponied up and built one of these:

Everything that you cook in this monster comes out good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know my local pizza shop uses apple juice in the dough...their pizza is amazing! They also sprinkle summer savory over each one...Its really good!

I made a couple of "Detroit Style" pies this evening.

pizza 069.jpg

pizza 067.jpg

pizza 068.jpg

pizza 072.jpg

pizza 073.jpg

This is going to be one of my favorite therads! Detroit pizza? Never heard of it before. Yum!

I LOVE pizza in all its many forms... NY-style, Chicago, calzone, cracker crust, etc. I'd really enjoy an all-inclusive pizza thread. With recipes, off course!

Thanks for starting what is sure to be an AWESOME topic!

Varasano is somewhat of a pizza purist if there is such a thing. According to him one of the keys to good pizza sauce is not cooking it twice. He details his sauce recipe on his website if you want to check it out and, surprisingly, it's really a very simple recipe.

His sauce is very similar to what I use except I usually add some granulated garlic and onion in mine. If I want to add fresh herbs I add them when the pizza is done, not to the sauce, same applies to fresh garlic and onions.

That's website is an interesting read. Gives me yet another reason to plant more tomato goodness in my new garden!

Great thread! Subscribed.

Nothing is better than homemade pizza. Does anyone grill their pizza? It's getting warmer outside and I'd prefer not to heat the house up in the summer.

I love homemade pizza. I usually prep the dough thursday and cook friday and saturday for the family.

Sauce:

1 can of drained San Marzano tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp of chopped garlic
1 tbsp oregono
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp salt

Dough:

7-3/4 cups of white flour
3 cups of water
1 tbsp + 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of yeast

Fresh basil on top

Nice thread! I've been making my own pizza for a couple years now. Mostly I like making NY and Sicilian style pies. One day I'd like to build a WFO and start making some Neapolitan style pies. Most of my doughs are cold fermented with ADY in the frig for a couple days. Here's a pic of a recent L&B Spumoni clone I made...

image.jpg

I love homemade pizza. I usually prep the dough thursday and cook friday and saturday for the family.

Sauce:

1 can of drained San Marzano tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp of chopped garlic
1 tbsp oregono
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp salt

Dough:

7-3/4 cups of white flour
3 cups of water
1 tbsp + 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of yeast

Fresh basil on top

what kind of yeast?

Nice thread! I've been making my own pizza for a couple years now. Mostly I like making NY and Sicilian style pies. One day I'd like to build a WFO and start making some Neapolitan style pies. Most of my doughs are cold fermented with ADY in the frig for a couple days. Here's a pic of a recent L&B Spumoni clone I made...

Nice L&B clone! Looks pretty much like the real thing.

A little :off:, I know, but a wfo is good for more than just pizza. This is the 23 lb. turkey from last Thanksgiving, roasted in the wfo with the residual heat from the fire of the day before. Ok, back to pizza.

mm 005.jpg

mm 007.jpg

can you guys tell me more about the machines you are using to make your dough/crust. Bread machine???

It's a cuisine art bread machine, not sure what model or if there's more than one but I've had it for many years, it was a hand me down and has served me well. If you're looking to buy one you want to get one that has a dough cycle so it will knead and rise without baking it at the end.

Great thread! Subscribed.

Nothing is better than homemade pizza. Does anyone grill their pizza? It's getting warmer outside and I'd prefer not to heat the house up in the summer.

Heck yea, grilled pizza. I mostly make thin/crispy pies (crust rolled really thin and dry). Then grilled over coals. I used to use a stone, but it cracked so I just put the pizza cutter on there and it works fine.

img_03185-47891.jpg

img_03163-47890.jpg

My pizza's don't look nearly as good as yours, but here is my deep dish pizza I made in a cast iron pan. I usually make my dough in a food processor, which probably isn't ideal, but I don't have a stand mixer or bread machine, so I used what I got.

pS7mBkT.jpg

So last night's sourdough pie was a partial fail I guess you could say. The dough came out way too wet and soft as a result of being kneaded too much I suspect, so we ended up with a very tasty calzone instead...

photo-2_zps9a36fa57.jpg

evets,
whats your dough recipe for the pan pies or are you just using the same dough as you would for a round pie?

Get dry instant rapid rise yeast at the grocery store. Its all similar stuff. You don't need as much as it says on the package, less yeast and longer rising equal better dough.

Latest posts

Back