Classic Rauchbier Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOrange

Reaction score
This is going to be my first time brewing a Classic Rauchbier and I was wondering if you all would critique my recipe. From the research I have done it seems like most sources agree that a rauchbier is almost like an Oktoberfest/Vienna lager but with a portion of the grain bill substituted out for beechwood smoked malt to account for 20-100%. Since I had such great success with my vienna lager I figured I would try this out.

Gain Bill

- 5lbs 8oz Smoked Malt (43.1%)
- 3lbs 8oz Munich Malt (27.5%)
- 3lbs 4oz Pilsner (25.5%)
- 8oz Caramunich (3.9%)

Hops

- 2.2oz Hallertauer (4%)

Yeast

- WLP830 German Lager

Beersmith is giving me the following numbers:

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.7%
IBU: 25ish
SRM: 10ish

I know that the color is below range but I will be doing a decoction mash and that will bring the color into the acceptable range. Anyone feel free to give me some advice. I am always open to suggestions.

I brew Rauchbier on a regular basis so that I'll never run out. This will be a production beer when I start my nano ever though it's time consuming, expensive and I will lose $ on brewing it. I don't care, I love it. I've picked the minds of German born and raised brewmasters for input and feed back. I'd dial back on the other malts and increase your rauch malt. Keep in mind that the classic Schlenkerla uses all smoked malt. However, I have it on good authority that their malt is a lower intensity smoke then what we can get imported into the states.
Also if you want to skip the messy and time consuming decoction, you can do a single infusion mash using Melanoidin malt as part of your bill to emulate the flavors of a decoction mash.
Remember to make a big starter and oxygenate your cooled wort. Pitch the yeast at the same temperature as your cooled wort. Ferment for 3-4 weeks at 50 degrees and then do a Diacetyl rest raising the temp to 65 over the course of 72 hours. I always cold crash afterwards for a 3-4 days then filter, keg and lager for a month.
I hope this helps, If you have any questions just let me know.

Awesome thanks for the input. What percentage would you recommend for the rauch malt?

Latest posts

Back