ESB yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CG72

Reaction score
Need a suggestion for a yeast for an ESB. Wyeast has a bunch and just looking for any advice from someone who's been down this road

I've been using Wyeast 1098 for my Red Hook ESB clone. Seams to finish quick and tastes like an English Ale. No complaints.

My AHS Redhook ESB kit came with White Labs Pacific Ale WLP041 (with alternate of Wyeast Northwest Ale 1332). I am very happy with the result.

1968 tastes great when it's well handled, but I've found it to be so temperamental I don't bother with it anymore. 1318 and 1028 are both great, and much easier to use.

Can you elaborate on "temperamental"?

I'm going to guess that he means that, if you don't control the temps correctly, it tends to drop out before it's finished.

You can start these high flocculating yeasts on the cool end of their range, but you have to be careful to not leave it there too long or it will want to drop out before the job is complete. I'll start 1968 around 63*F. After a couple of days, I'd ease it up into the 65-66*F range and then give it a d-rest (yes, they will produce diacetyl) at 68-69*F for a few days before cold crashing.

1968 will produce a very compact and firm yeast cake. I'm an ESB fan and like 1968.

Just made a ten gallon batch of esb and split the yeasts between 005 and 007. Still a bit young but I really like the taste of the 007. A bit more malty and drier than the 005. Both taste great though! Can't wait!

I talked to someone at northern brewer, and they told me about the high flocculation. They suggested agitating the fermentor half way through the process.

It is not available year round, but I've used White Labs 006 Bedford in a couple solid beers and I think the ester profile would be excellent for an ESB. 002 is also great as others have said.

Can you elaborate on "temperamental"?

Temp issues are part of it, as BigFloyd mentioned. You need to get it to attenuate well enough early on, so that when it drops (and it is best to actually lower the temp at the end of fermentation with this strain), it's not dropping higher than you want it to.

Then there's the whole issue of it restarting fermentation during the bottling process, overcarbonating the bottles and destroying the beautiful ester profile you worked so hard to acheive (see discussion in this thread). Plus it just seems to randomly underperform for me, in terms of flavor, attenuation, and such.

I'm sure there are reasons, I just haven't been able to figure them out. I'm sure I could get all that ironed out, if I were determined, but I'm of the mind that since there are many other great yeasts that perform reliably well in a wide variety of circumstances, that I'm not going to bother with it again. That's why I like 1318 and 1028...easy to deal with, hardy and reliable, great results every time.

For whatever it's worth I made an ESB 10 days ago and without any further action had the wort go from 1.060 to 1.016. The ESP yeast preformed beautifully, just pitched 2 packs of 1968 and let it go.

I've got a batch of WLP005 ESB carbing right now, been making this beer with different yeasts to see which I prefer. So far, the esters coming out of the 005 are very interest, but very distinct from WLP002.

1968 tastes great when it's well handled, but I've found it to be so temperamental I don't bother with it anymore. 1318 and 1028 are both great, and much easier to use.

I like WY1028 a lot for ESB/English Pale Ales. Here's a recent temperature and rough gravity sample (small sample by refractometer) - graph below. Aeration by a drill with paddles and yeast pitch per Mr. Malty/Yeastcalc. Very strong fermentation.

WY1318 is on the list to try.

Graph.jpg

daksin said:
I've got a batch of WLP005 ESB carbing right now, been making this beer with different yeasts to see which I prefer. So far, the esters coming out of the 005 are very interest, but very distinct from WLP002.

I have 2 kegs of ESB on tap at the moment. Exact same recipe but used 002 in one and 005 in the other. Both are great but I prefer the 002. Great ester profile from the 05, but to me, even though they finished at exactly the same gravity, I get a malt depth from the 02 that is hidden by the esters in the 05. I love the nutty flavors I get from Maris Otter and the 02 features them better.

That being said, I would have no problem picking up another vial of 05 if I went to the shop and they were out if 02.

I'm also looking at trying the 07 against the 02. Per the WL site, they have a similar flavor profile but the 07 finishes drier.

Another vote for wy1318 here. I've found it to attenuate well, drop like a brick, and leave an excellent ester profile for both milds and bitters. Hell of a top-cropping strain too.

Back