Wyeast 1332 - Yet another person who is scared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIF

Reaction score
Hey All,

So, I've read countless posts on here about how this strain doesn't like to fall after 2 or three weeks. I've recently gotten into the trend or fermenting only in the primary and have experienced results that are more consistent than when I'd do the old style 2 stage.

Anyhow, my fear during this ferment is that this krausen hasn't budged after almost 3 weeks AND the beer below is still a bit murky. From what other posts have said, folks have racked through this cloud to find very clear beer underneath. Now, the beer isn't nearly as milky-orange as the first week. I can see the trub is getting more packed and some of the yeast has obviously dropped out of suspension, but I am hesitant to rack this soon.

The funny thing is, about 1/8th of an inch under the krausen is this gorgeous ring of very clear beer.

I would RDWHAHB, but I am all out as my last batch was scarfed up by friends :(

Deets:

Almost 10lbs of extract
16oz of Simplicity Candi Syrup
5 oz Liberty
OG 1.080 (eek)

Thanks all...

Edit. SG is down to ~ 1.020 now... guess i need a bit longer

I drank the gravity sample and like others have said, this yeast imparts some major SOUR.

I use wy1332 a lot for my Am. Pales and IPA's, and it can be a rather finicky yeast. As you mentioned, the krausen will stick around as long as you allow it and in my experience the beer flocculates much better once racked into a secondary. However, given time, this yeast will drop out to leave a beautifully clear beer. I would suggest racking to a secondary and giving it a weeks time to fully flocc out. Also, cold crashing really helps with this yeast.

Lastly, while some people have mentioned that this yeast produces tart flavors, in the dozens of times I have used it, I have never encountered anything of the sort. I can only imagine that people are fermenting this yeast too warm (I keep mine at 62F throughout) and/or have issues with yeast health and oxygenation. Also, no yeast should ever impart a "sour" character to a beer as part of its normal flavor. If that is the case, something is wrong.

Thanks, bierhaus15. maybe the tart is from some bacterial action or something? I have no clue. It's not horrible, but it seems to certainly be there. Could just be the greenish taste of the sample. I had a bunch of good days at sub 65F, but there were a couple when the temp in this area went up to 70. I shook the krausen in and am going to wait another week.

For reference, I shook the kraeusen in twice. First time, the next day it was right back to looking like spray insulation. I waited a week and did it again. Next morning it was back but whiter and more "well behaved" looking. That night, holes began to show and in the morning it almost fell completely. Cold crashed for 5 days and bottled.

Back