Brewhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llgriffin

Reaction score
So I just picked up a "The Brew House" American premium lager kit. Any tips, tricks or advice on this particular kit that might make this turn out better. Instructions say about a week in primary, rack to secondary for another 10-15.

I'd leave it in primary for 2 weeks instead of one. use lots of yeast, and aerate the wort well. fermentation temp is critical for a lager. make sure the fermenting wort stays in the yeasts ideal range.

Lager? As in actual lager yeast?
I doubt it's a lager with that quick of a ferment, and I'm not familiar with that kit, but I would say let it sit on the yeast cake for two weeks, then if you want to move it to a bright tank, go for it.

I just went to the website and see it's Cooper's brewers yeast, which has a temp range of 65F - 75F.
This is not a true lager, but will produce beer none-the-less.
I would ferment at the lower temp range, and keep in mind that the internal temperatures will be higher than the ambient air temp.

Ok thanks for the tips guys. I'll ferment a little cooler this time see how it goes

Got it mixed up last night. Went to check on it today, I have no lid for my fermenter so I just used a big elastic with a garbage bag for the top. When I open it up to peak it was so strong it burnt my nose. Do you think it needs to breathe more or is it ok like that. I used just a nice thick towel on top of my last batch but it was never that intense.

Got it mixed up last night. Went to check on it today, I have no lid for my fermenter so I just used a big elastic with a garbage bag for the top. When I open it up to peak it was so strong it burnt my nose. Do you think it needs to breathe more or is it ok like that. I used just a nice thick towel on top of my last batch but it was never that intense.

Probably just CO2. It burns pretty good when you inhale.

So when I rack over for bottling should I mix the dextrose up with some hot water and let cool before I mix or does it make a difference?

You'll want to boil it and let it cool before adding to the bottling bucket. Put it in the bucket first and rack the beer on top of it. The swirling action will mix it in.

Back