Favorite steak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
So what is your favorite cut of steak?

I recently picked up 13 pounds of rib eye for $4.99 a pound. The same place now has strip steak for $3.99 a pound if you buy 10+ pounds.

Rib eye is good and has a lot of flavor, but there is also a lot of fat and other chewy parts in there that you have to get through. My buddies swear by rib eye and I have been enjoying it, but it's not my most fav cut.

I hav to say, that the porterhouse is the king of steaks for me. You get the strip plus that big section of tenderloin which you can peel of the bone with just your fork. You also get just enough fat to add flavor, tender meat and very little cartilage to chew through. The problem is it is hard to find for less than $10.99 a pound. You are paying for some bone in your steak, but who doesn't get all caveman knawing on that bone?:rockin:

I think I'm going back for the strip steak next. Not as tender as tenderloin or tasty as rib eye, but damn good eatin' steak. Tenderloin is crazy tender but not as flavorful. In fact, sometimes I'll wrap a tenderlojn steak with bacon to add some smoky flavor.

I like a good sear with some crisp fat on the outside, but still rare in the middle. All I put on my good steak is a little seasoning salt and some garlic powder.

I also like flank steak, but you got to marinade the hell out of it.

Not really in the same category, but I just picked up 4 lbs of carne asada (marinated in-store) from a carniceria and I have to say this is my favorite. Don't know if you guys have mexican markets in the east though. Some chain stores sell their own version of it but in my experience it is always total crap.

I think carne asada is made with flank steak? Anyone verify that?

Porterhouse
Rib Eye-
The "Good Side of the T-bone"

Underestimated and often at a really low price Chuck Eye. They fall apart but are flavorful and tender.

Morton's Double Cut Fillet is pretty bangin too, but it better be for 60 bucks.

Def a fat 1.25" to 1.5" cut, good new york strip with just salt and pepper cooked med-rare. My favorite.

Yes - it's flank steak. I like it too. We have a good Mexican place that does it really well.

On my grill I prefer strip steaks. Salt, pepper and a little garlic. Grill both sides. About 3 minutes before it's done I dip it in melted butter and return to the grill. Fantastic!

Ribeye or NY Strip. Porterhouse and T-bone are three and four. I like them salted, with a bit of red pepper or Jamaican jerk, and grilled to rare or just a fuzz beyond. I like steak sauce okay, but if I pull it out, you know it's a bad piece of meat.

I got spoiled on thick cut Argentinian steaks thanks to my old neighbor. Don't know the name of the cut of meat he used, but they are liberally seasoned with rock salt and grilled over a hardwood fire just long enough to form a nice crust and bloody, rare interior. And served with chimichurri. I've replicated them somewhat well using NY strip.

Also, any cut of beef that is grilled over allspice wood is amazing. Think jerk seasoning.

Yes - it's flank steak. I like it too. We have a good Mexican place that does it really well.

On my grill I prefer strip steaks. Salt, pepper and a little garlic. Grill both sides. About 3 minutes before it's done I dip it in melted butter and return to the grill. Fantastic!

I think I've seen it on youtube but never tried it. Is it that meat that they cook on that flat, hubcapped shaped grill? Like of like a mexican version of beer stir fry? If so, I would like that too.
You also can't beat a steak sandwich made by grilling shaved beef on a flattop or in a cast iron pan with carmelized onions and melted cheese.

But I digress, back to steak. I also like 1.5 inch cuts. 2 inches is a bit too thick, except in filet mignon steaks.

I stay away from sauces or heavy seasoning in the best cuts of meat. I save that stuff for tenderizing and adding flavor to lesser cuts like rump steaks, sirloins and london broils.

Growing up, my family didn't have the cash for the good cuts. I mostly ate chuck steaks and then we would also have those steaks where they would run the meat threw those big tenderizers that punched a thousand holes in the meat. We called them minute steaks. I know they are often used in chicken fried steak, which is pretty darn good in itself.

BandT said:

Commonly yes but any lean cow cut thin works in a pinch so says my buddies father in law who is born and raised in Mexico.

For my favorite, ribeye is good if you find a good prime cut otherwise my standard is finding a good choice thick cut NY strip from there the secret is how you cook it.

Thick porterhouse with just a bit of vegetable oil and some salt and pepper. Get a dry cast iron skillet in the oven and let it fully heat up at the highest temperature (500F or so). Put the pan on a high flame, put the room temperature steak on for 45 seconds (don't move it), flip it, 45 more, then into the oven for 2 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and rest it under a steel bowl or some foil for 5 minutes.

My favorite has to be rib-steak... Followed by porterhouse and strip steak. Although I'd never turn down a nice filet either.

My butcher has aged T-bone thick cut steaks, big taste= big $$$$. Costco has tri tip for cheap, that is very good. I'm also into kabobs, the steel running through it makes it cook different.

Another vote for the ribeye/delmonico. A well marbled one cut 1.5" thick prepared over lump charcoal or a good hot cast iron skillet in my opinion has superior flavor and tenderness thru out the entire cut.

Porterhouse #1 and Ribeye #2. For me there are two rules when preparing a steak: The first rule: it has to be at least 1" thick, preferably >1.5". A few days,the local shop had 2" Ribeye and it was delicious. The second rule: Stop cooking before it stops moving. Back on valentine's day the wife and I went to a local steak house and they cooked it the way I like it. Now, if it had only been an inch thicker, it would have been perfect. Here's a picture:

2013-02-14 18.24.27.jpg

I do love a thick Tbone, but I usually get ribeye as it's less expensive. Porterhouse is another fav, but I rarely get it due to the price. I've also done prime rib like a steak, it was tasty, but it had a lot of connective tissue running through it. Guess my fav would have to be ribeye, grilled over mesquite wood, RARE. No salt or spices, just a little dollop of butter on top when served.
Regards, GF.

Double cut bone in rib eye! Sea salt, cracked peppercorns and California olive oil over grilled over a bed of mesquite

#1 - NY Strip
#2 - T-Bone / Porterhouse
#3 - Flat Iron
#4 - Rib

To make y'all salivate a bit more than already are, no doubt, reading this thread:

I grew up in the middle of Nebraska on a farm and know the beef industry quite well. In 4-H, I spent a couple of years on state livestock judging teams too. My beef comes from an extended family member to ranches in central Nebraska, just south of the Loup river. The past three years, I've gone out there and picked the steer I wanted. Loaded it up and took it to a local, artisan butcher who ages it for 21 days before packaging. Every cut is prepared as requested by the client packaged and frozen for you to come and pick up. The last calf was huge, hung a nearly 900# carcass. Cost for me to put it in my freezer was less than $2k. Mmm I think I'm going to pull out a package right now for dinner.

Strip is my go to cut. A little salt & pepper and then cooked to perfection on the grill. Add in some home made fries, a nice home brew, and a good cigar and we have the making of a perfect meal.

I have to say that intellectually, a t-bone or bone in rib-eye are about the best steak possible.

Emotionally (as a California kid with relatives on the central coast) that a tri-tip cooked to perfection is some kind of wonderful. I don't cook mine over red oak as others have suggested on here, but I do use "real" hardwood charcoal when I cook mine and they are wonderful.

Just as a funny aside, my uncle moved to the central coast years ago when he went to Cal Poly SLO (relevant to this forum.. his BS is in viticulture, but he is a firefighter.. go figure). Until relatively recently, tri-tip was almost a throw away cut of meat (which is why ranch hands perfected it). It was dirt cheap. When we used to visit my uncle when I was a kid, we used to stock up at the local grocery stores on tri-tip and bring it back home.

Whenever our local grocery chain (Stater Bros. for my So Cal folks) has tri-tip on sale, I make sure to grab a few roasts. It is really great when you cook it the right way.

That said, it can't compare to a well cooked t-bone or ribeye at a steakhouse.

I've also done prime rib like a steak, it was tasty, but it had a lot of connective tissue running through it. Guess my fav would have to be ribeye, grilled over mesquite wood, RARE.

A ribeye is a cut of steak from the rib primal, so cut into steaks you get ribeyes and left whole you get the rib roast...or a prime rib if it is prime grade beef. So, keep buying those prime ribs when on a good sale and then you can cut off steaks from them...or better yet, keep it whole and dry age it for a month or two and then start cutting off steaks :).

A ribeye is a cut of steak from the rib primal, so cut into steaks you get ribeyes and left whole you get the rib roast...or a prime rib if it is prime grade beef. So, keep buying those prime ribs when on a good sale and then you can cut off steaks from them...or better yet, keep it whole and dry age it for a month or two and then start cutting off steaks :).

How exactly do you dry age a steak? If I leave anything sitting around my house for a month I can guarantee it will be covered with green stuff and wll most likely kill me.

I'd like to dry-age a steak, cook it, feed it to the dog (maybe the cat), and if he survives try it myself. :D

What's the process?

Porter House
Rib eye

Either one topped with melted Blue cheese.
Knock the horns off wipe it's rear and walk it by the Grill!

Or as my Cattleman grandfather used to say :He has seen cattle hurt worse then that and LIVE!

Without a doubt rib eye or prime rib is my go to when at a steak house. At home it's usually cheaper cuts, usually a grilled or smoked tri-tip roast.

Medium Rare.

Pretty excited about this weekend, best deals on meat I've seen in a while. Anyone else excited about meat :D

A perfectly prepared porterhouse is my gnaw of choice. If I'm patient, salted and dry aged in my fridge for a few days as per Alton Brown, but usually I have to settle for J kenzie Alt-Lopez's laying on rosemary, and garlic and salting for 1-2 hours ahead to let the salting draw the seasoning into the water cells.

Then vac-packed in a food saver bag,

524710_10151396085969067_424465821_n.jpg

Dropped in my ghetto sous-vide machine,

430547_10151396086109067_1020341648_n.jpg

391035_10151396086229067_212639472_n.jpg

And cooked in a 130 or 135 bath for 1-2 hours. Then pull it our and sear it in a hot pan with oil for abut 1 minute per side to get a beautiful maillard reaction.

935360_10151396268494067_910286574_n.jpg

Served with green beans and twice baked potato stuffed with garlic, rosemary and blue cheese.

And it's namesake beer to wash it down of course.

164249_10151396268429067_556827818_n.jpg

;)

Revvy, I'm drooling! :mug:

It was awesome. Using my ghetto sous-vide for some sort of meat has become my Sunday ritual, because you don't have to worry about over cooking anything, and it can sit for hours at whatever temp with the only real effect of making it more tender. I'm usually exhausted when I get home from Church and take a couple hour nap, so once I get it in the bath, it doesn't matter whether I sleep for an hour or 4, then I just need to get up, finish the sides and brown the meat.

Back