What s the best way to make large batches of wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Just wandering how to expand past 5 gallon, to 10 or 15 20+ gallons at a time. What type of vessel is used

Darn, I saw the subject and was primed to respond with "more grapes."

That said, have you looked into the plastic tanks used for biodiesel and whatnot? I use them for brewing and with just a few fittings they work...pretty freaking great. Mine are conical but with all the racking and degassing and whatnot you wine fellers do then you could possibly get by even cheaper/easier/flatter.

That said I think there is a "V-Vessel" out there specifically made for 15 gallon wine batches and capturing yeast.

I just use 5 and 6 gallon carboys, as I can't lift anything bigger than that anyway.

Well, I start in a huge rubbermaid bin or two, first, for primary. But then I rack to carboys. I don't have a pump for winemaking, so I do it all by gravity (and brute strength!) and even a full 6 gallon carboy is a bit much for me.

I have dozens of carboys, and I make more wine than beer so I use them mostly for wine.

Stainless fermenters are ideal but they don't come cheap. I use Rubbermaid brute trash cans as primary then rack into 54l or 19l demijohns.

I 'double batch' now and then to make 12 - 14 gallons using two 7.9 gallon buckets. Then rack to 6 gal carboys.

Back