What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-1794721744.jpg

Aren't you not supposed to make a starter for roselaire? From what I remember reading doing so can throw the proportions of bugs vs sacc out of whack

Yep. Because sacc yeast reproduces and ferments a lot quicker than most bugs, making a starter with it increases the sacc cells disproportionately high, which, especially when combined with the faster fermentation of sacc yeast, means it will get at almost all of the sugars before the bugs can. It makes me prefer to use separate cultures rather than blends, or at least (a) fresh and brand new vial(s) or smack-pack(s).

The only time I'd really recommend using blends that you've fermented with before (whether it's a commercial blend or one you put together yourself) is when it's impregnated in wood, particularly oak, and especially barrels, rather than pitching from some form of liquid slurry.

image-300264842.jpg

My tester bottle of apfelwein that I bottled 12/12. The first time (made 3 other batches) I actually used the appropriate yeast, Montrachet. The other times I was using left over "kit beer" yeast (muntons, muntons gold). Wow, what a difference!

[picture of de dolle]

How is that beer? It's one I've been looking at, but not available people here other than as an entire case (or few rare beer bars that may have ordered entire cases). Which is a pretty big risk to take, especially since it'll be easier to find people to split it with if it's great, but much more difficult if it's not - ¡meaning that the worse it is, the more it would cost me! :eek:

Yep. Because sacc yeast reproduces and ferments a lot quicker than most bugs, making a starter with it increases the sacc cells disproportionately high, which, especially when combined with the faster fermentation of sacc yeast, means it will get at almost all of the sugars before the bugs can. It makes me prefer to use separate cultures rather than blends, or at least (a) fresh and brand new vial(s) or smack-pack(s).

The only time I'd really recommend using blends that you've fermented with before (whether it's a commercial blend or one you put together yourself) is when it's impregnated in wood, particularly oak, and especially barrels, rather than pitching from some form of liquid slurry.

good to know! I figured the brett b. I added when I added fresh wort would have taken off though. I'm gonna let it sit for a few more months & check grav. only dropped .002 since I last check a few months ago. then gonna bottle, analyze my strategy & attack.

How is that beer? It's one I've been looking at, but not available people here other than as an entire case (or few rare beer bars that may have ordered entire cases). Which is a pretty big risk to take, especially since it'll be easier to find people to split it with if it's great, but much more difficult if it's not - ¡meaning that the worse it is, the more it would cost me! :eek:

It's a good beer. I guess it's a BDSA. If I had the extra money, it would be great to get a case. It ages very well and even drinking only 2 or 3 a year, it will still be in it's prime when you finish the case.

good to know! I figured the brett b. I added when I added fresh wort would have taken off though. I'm gonna let it sit for a few more months & check grav. only dropped .002 since I last check a few months ago. then gonna bottle, analyze my strategy & attack.

If you want more sour and more attenuation, try pitching some Jolly Pumpkin dregs. Good excuse to sit down and drink a couple JPs in one session.

It's a good beer. I guess it's a BDSA. If I had the extra money, it would be great to get a case. It ages very well and even drinking only 2 or 3 a year, it will still be in it's prime when you finish the case.

If you want more sour and more attenuation, try pitching some Jolly Pumpkin dregs. Good excuse to sit down and drink a couple JPs in one session.

I can not & will not argue with your logic!:rockin:

Consider throwing some maltrodextrin in it if you want more Brett character. S. cerevisiae can't ferment it, which means that the B. bruxellensis can't be outcompeted by it.

View attachment 115484

My tester bottle of apfelwein that I bottled 12/12. The first time (made 3 other batches) I actually used the appropriate yeast, Montrachet. The other times I was using left over "kit beer" yeast (muntons, muntons gold). Wow, what a difference!

Have to admit, I'm interested in the story behind the WD-40 that is sitting on what looks to be your brewing table near bottles and bottle caps :)

Man, I've never had a JP beer but it's easily within the top two breweries that I've never had a beer from but would most like to try the entire product lineup of (the other being RR). Why you gotta rub my face in my complete lack of their beers?! :mad:

Man, I've never had a JP beer but it's easily within the top two breweries that I've never had a beer from but would most like to try the entire product lineup of (the other being RR). Why you gotta rub my face in my complete lack of their beers?! :mad:

that's the way we roll, yo.

USA! USA! USA! :drunk:

Google maps says it's 4.5 hrs to Dexter, MI from Toronto, so you're closer to the brewery than I am.

seigex said:
Have to admit, I'm interested in the story behind the WD-40 that is sitting on what looks to be your brewing table near bottles and bottle caps :)

That is a work bench, the Wd-40 is for general lubrication. Any bottle on the bench is destined for the recycle bin and the cap you see is from the bottle I had just opened in the pic. I like to drink beers, pile the empties in my work bench and doodle on the bench with my red sharpie.

Liked Stone/2Bro Daytime more, this seems belgiany overcarbed and very heady/possibly infected.Not shure if they use belgian yeast on this one-usually its stated on the bottle. I also don't notice any coffee really maybe some mild roast malts.Maybe could be a bit of mocha but its drowned out by hops/bitterness and mild fruit and belgian dry oakyness.Probably could be pretty aged.Pretty good ipa though. Especially after a 5.5 hr brewday-(made another german pale ale) and 2.5 hr bike trek. Earned. I feel great.

mikkeller koppi.jpg

21st Amendments Back in Black.
Buddy of mine bought a sixer of cans, drank one and gave me the rest. Apparently he doesn't appreciate a good black IPA the same as I do...and I am ok with that.

mcbaumannerb said:
It was a 2012 and it was phenomenal!

Damn! Lucky guy, I bet it was phenomenal, I will be doing my rounds next month trying to pick up as much of it as I can, then I will still have to wait a year to have what you just had.

My Mobsta' Rye Porter (Brown Porter)

Still getting my nitro setup dialed in, hence the massive head, but I love how creamy this porter is.

image-1833475400.jpg

Back