Fermenting explosions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfrost

Reaction score
Recently I have brewed two batches of imp stout that have exploded overnight. I understand that I need to pay more attention to the fermenter at peak times but I am looking for some tips o. How to prevent this from happening again. These are my first attempts at high gravity. The yeast used was wyeast Irish ale 1300 ml starter pitched at 70 degrees. The beers og were 1.090. Filled a 6 gallon carboy with 5 gallons of beer. Used a stopper with a beer line hose run out into a bucket of water. Both times the hose has become blocked and then beer explosion. Any tips?

*Should have read this better*

Blocked huh? Do you still have a lot of hop matter in the fermenting wert? Perhaps better straining could help?

Yes I am using a blow off tube. It is still becoming blocked. What size of tubing are you using? Maybe mine is just too small.

Don't fill up your carboy to the top.
Use big hose the size of carboy opening.
Strain better.
My 3 cents.

Get a few feet of hose with an outer diameter large enough that you can stick it directly into the carboy spout - it'll be tough to clog that thing. You could also use foam control (fermcap s) and temperature control to keep your fermentation reigned in.

Back