Keezer in basement, faucets in kitchen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingobitme

Reaction score
Per subject... We have a tiny house and a creepy basement... No good solutions for a pretty keezer... This is more proof of concept stuff.

Started with a 75$ freezer and a 2x6 collar... And the obligatory beer sticker...

image-856207756.jpg

image-2842741609.jpg

haha! Except it should say faucets in kitchen... Derp...

How do I fix it?

<edit> the engineer figured out how to use the interwebs...

Punched some holes in the floor (buddy doing the work)...

image-1741996258.jpg

And ran the 1/4" poly tubing through a 1.5" insulated abs pipe... 6 lines, 4 beer, 2 cooling.

image-3179896944.jpg

And ran them to a bread box kinda cabinet in the corner, above a lazy susan corner cabinet with the false back... Wrapped the whole gig in pipe insulation.

image-1198431052.jpg

Made a simple jockey box kinda gig that will be able to be hidden when SWMBO wants the party to stop...

image-72198166.jpg

image-2292609703.jpg

image-1851425179.jpg

We will paint it black chalkboard, mount 4 Perlicks and a cooling coil in the box... More on the box next...

Painting the box with the obligatory beer in the foreground.

image-1014449192.jpg

Insulated, faucets installed and a shot of the 1/4" copper cooling coil.

image-1857463363.jpg

The new hotness in its place.

image-2745471509.jpg

And the view withdrawn... It is long enough to reach the sink for easy cleaning...

image-411714279.jpg

day_trippr said:
Almost.

Anyway, very nice - concept and execution.
What are you using for the cooling loop?

Cheers!

Aw man... It's not fixed! Help!?

The loop will be a pond pump/bucket/forced air heat exchanger in the keezer system...

Thanks BTW... Got a lot of respect for this place... Mad skills... Tinker and otherwise...

Room for 6 for cornys, or 4 and 2 commercial kegs... With the 10lb on the hump, with the bucket and the like...

image-2086945527.jpg

image-268850033.jpg

And a shot of the forced air cooler... Muffin fan, 3" sewer pipe and 10' of copper tubing... This is mounted downstream of the pond pump... This is really required for this setup since the pump generates so much heat... At 40 in the keezer, the bucket is like 52...

image-2878530511.jpg

In the end, with a 40 deg keezer set point, the jockey box stays about 44, and pours beer...

What else do you want?

image-1813601155.jpg

This was my first build and first time kegging... So I learned a bunch... I found this site a little too late, but thought I came up with some good solutions to the problems as they came up... Most of the questions could be answered if you hunt, but feel free to ask anything... I am already planning phase two!

LabRatBrewer said:
Thats great. Good work. Drip tray?

For sure... Need a couple finishing touches and that is one... Probably attach it to box with a magnet so it can be removed and washed.

suprat78 said:
Can you take pictures of the pump? How long is the run?

Thanks!

The run is about 15 feet, with an 11 foot rise... I will take some pics, but it is this guy...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M6MTMI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
PP29105 : 291 GPH, Underwater, Hydroponics, Aquarium, Aquaponics Pump - 16W, 5' Cord

Had to suckle it a bit to get it going, but it circulates... Also in the run are two, 10 foot copper tubing coils, so a ton of flow resistance. The pump only puts out 700 ml per minute, about 4% of the no-head rated flow. It's a steep curve, but what do you expect for 20 bucks... But it's still plenty cold... The box and line chase are well insulated.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very cool. What kind of CO2 pressure do you need?

I'd love to do something like this. I think the hardest part of this project would be getting my wife to let me drill holes in the countertop.

blo
That's very cool. What kind of CO2 pressure do you need?

Thanks!

I'd love to do something like this. I think the hardest part of this project would be getting my wife to let me drill holes in the countertop.

I was only able to do it because we plan on updating the kitchen next year. The bread box hide helped the negotiation.

At 10 feet you need at least 4.5 psi just to get upstairs... I am running the Tank 7 and Blonde ale at 12 psi and the stout at 8. I needed low pressure drop lines so I went with the 1/4" poly (3/16" was a non starter). I can do a pint of the stout in about 15 seconds... almost exactly what the spreadsheet predicted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApGb-vIKLq7FdGtzN3BrY2xZSldORzQ2bHVVX0hzaEE#gid=0

I also got the Perlick Flow Control faucets since I wanted to be able to fiddle with some high carb stuff later.

Wow!

Dude that is the coolest execution of an idea that most of use would love to be able to do but are unable to, my excuse....I don't have a basement.

herc1354 said:
Wow!

Dude that is the coolest execution of an idea that most of use would love to be able to do but are unable to, my excuse....I don't have a basement.

Thanks man! I have never had a house with a basement (this is my first) and it's a freakin joy...

Back