Double IPA Kern River Citra DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kegged this one a couple weeks ago and it is one of my best beers to date. My best friend said it his favorite of mine yet!

I subbed a oz of Cascade for Amarillo as I didn't have any at the time.

Great recipe! Going to brew this again for spring!

What do you guys think about brewing this with some Conan yeast?

I brewed 10 gallons of cent blonde using Conan and when I tasted the FG sample I was def getting the heady flavor but I'm not sure if it would enhance or take away the hop flavor in this recipe.

I brewed this beer and its been carbed and sitting for two weeks on tap. I scaled up to 6 gallons and tweked for my system. All I can say is wow.

This tastes like tropical fruit juice. I like how the bittering, flavor and aroma are well rounded. Never had the original but can say I will brew again. Maybe trying with a peach ester yeast? Conan would be a good test candidate. Now If I could find some...

ILoveBeer2 said:
I brewed this beer and its been carbed and sitting for two weeks on tap. I scaled up to 6 gallons and tweked for my system. All I can say is wow.

This tastes like tropical fruit juice. I like how the bittering, flavor and aroma are well rounded. Never had the original but can say I will brew again. Maybe trying with a peach ester yeast? Conan would be a good test candidate. Now If I could find some...

I'm brewing it now. Strike water is 2 degrees from go time. I am going ten gallons and used 1.25 pounds of 40l vs the 10l, so it won't be exact. I also subbed Columbus for Nugget but I doubt that will make much difference. It's my first beer using Citra.

staticmap

image-2189643614.jpg

I'm brewing it now. Strike water is 2 degrees from go time. I am going ten gallons and used 1.25 pounds of 40l vs the 10l, so it won't be exact. I also subbed Columbus for Nugget but I doubt that will make much difference. It's my first beer using Citra.

If you like fruity IPAs you're going to love citra.

Just about to transfer out of primary and I think I will dry hop in the keg so that I can sleep at night dry hopping without an airlock or any kind of pressure release. Anybody know whether or not each dry hop addition is supposed to be removed before adding the next addition?

Also, I need a little clarification on the dry hop schedule. In the podcast, Kyle says that he counts the day that each addition is added as a day. For example, If I add my first dry hop addition on Monday I'm adding my second addition on Wednesday (Mon, Tues, Wed = 3 days). So do I count Wednesday as the last day of my first addition and also as the first day of my second addition? Is it 12 calendar days or 12 counted days? After listening to the podcast I was under the impression that it should look like this:

1st addition - Mon, Tues, Wed
2nd addition - Wed, Thurs, Fri
3rd addition - Fri, Sat, Sun
4th addition - Sun, Mon, Tues

That's 12 counted days, but really only 8 consecutive days of dry hopping. Did anybody else get this from what Kyle says in the podcast? Thanks for your input, guys.

This looks like a great brew. However, has anyone boosted the malt a bit? It seems a little light on the ABV side for a double IPA. I was thinking of raising my 2 row to 13lbs. I'd be curious to see if anyone else has done this to gain some gravity points, and if so, what did you add?

I think this recipe tastes good as is. You can boost the gravity but you will also need to boost bitterness to keep the beer balanced. BeerSmith can help you with the calculation. I'd do it for you but I'm at work.

Just about to transfer out of primary and I think I will dry hop in the keg so that I can sleep at night dry hopping without an airlock or any kind of pressure release. Anybody know whether or not each dry hop addition is supposed to be removed before adding the next addition?

Also, I need a little clarification on the dry hop schedule. In the podcast, Kyle says that he counts the day that each addition is added as a day. For example, If I add my first dry hop addition on Monday I'm adding my second addition on Wednesday (Mon, Tues, Wed = 3 days). So do I count Wednesday as the last day of my first addition and also as the first day of my second addition? Is it 12 calendar days or 12 counted days? After listening to the podcast I was under the impression that it should look like this:

That's 12 counted days, but really only 8 consecutive days of dry hopping. Did anybody else get this from what Kyle says in the podcast? Thanks for your input, guys.

Anybody?

Anybody?

hit up kyle he is cool guy I'm sure he will get back to you if want know exactly

[email protected]

Anybody?

It doesn't matter that much, but 3 days each. M-W, Th-Sat, Sun-Tue,Wed-Friday. Ready to go on Saturday morning.

I plan on making this my next brew. Are you guys leaving each dry hop addition in there until bottling/kegging? Or are you pulling them out after 3 days. Sorry if that question was answered... I did not see that addressed. Thanks for the help.

I plan on making this my next brew. Are you guys leaving each dry hop addition in there until bottling/kegging? Or are you pulling them out after 3 days. Sorry if that question was answered... I did not see that addressed. Thanks for the help.

Pull them out. IMO you could probably cut this into 2 or 3 part dry hop and not tell much difference.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm dry hopping mine in the keg, and I just threw in my second dry hop addition with my first. I have my dry hops in a muslin bag, and I'm going to leave all of the additions in together until it's done dry hopping...shouldn't have to worry about grassy flavors after 12 days, but to be safe I'll probably cool the keg from 67 degrees down to serving temp right when I add my fourth addition. It smells awesome after only 3 days dry hopping, though.

Thanks guys. I'm going to dry hop in the keg at my basement temp of 68 to keep my aromas from blowing off as well. I'll be using the hop bags. I'll probably pull each addition out when the next is added. Or a hybrid where I pull the oldest addition out after 7 days.

I might have to pickup some of those bags. If I drop them in directly the later additions may not have time to precipitate out and I don't want a murky looking beer.

the real deal citra is murky but delicious

So, I am planning on brewing this next weekend.... I listened to the podcast, and have all my ingredients. One thing I really took away from the Podcast was when Kyle said that its really easy to over do Citra... He mentioned that if overdone, it can make it seem like you are drinking fruit juice.

Well, this week I had single hop beer that is made by Knee Deep Brewing. Its a Citra Pale Ale. My final impressions on that beer was that I almost felt like I was drinking fruit juice. I am hoping it may have been a bad bottle ( it was also very lightly carbonated), as they are one of my favorite breweries right now, but I became worried about brewing this Citra IPA.

I like bitterness in my IPA, and not an overly sweet IPA. Are any of you who brewed this finding that its a bit overdone on Citra, or that is has fruit juice qualities to it? Man, I don't want to brew Mango juice! I am hoping you guys who have brewed this, or have had the real deal, can ease my mind that brewing this is the right thing to do. I am committed to brewing this, I just hope it turns out to be a great beer like its cracked up to be!

So, I am planning on brewing this next weekend.... I listened to the podcast, and have all my ingredients. One thing I really took away from the Podcast was when Kyle said that its really easy to over do Citra... He mentioned that if overdone, it can make it seem like you are drinking fruit juice.

Well, this week I had single hop beer that is made by Knee Deep Brewing. Its a Citra Pale Ale. My final impressions on that beer was that I almost felt like I was drinking fruit juice. I am hoping it may have been a bad bottle ( it was also very lightly carbonated), as they are one of my favorite breweries right now, but I became worried about brewing this Citra IPA.

I like bitterness in my IPA, and not an overly sweet IPA. Are any of you who brewed this finding that its a bit overdone on Citra, or that is has fruit juice qualities to it? Man, I don't want to brew Mango juice! I am hoping you guys who have brewed this, or have had the real deal, can ease my mind that brewing this is the right thing to do. I am committed to brewing this, I just hope it turns out to be a great beer like its cracked up to be!

It is fruit juicy. At ~60IBUs, it's to be expected, it's also very close to what the real deal tastes like, which, this being a clone, is a good thing. If you really want bitterness, you should add some harsher traditional bittering hops if you want to get away from the Citra juice effect.

It smells like fruit juice, it has a really good balance if u get it down to 1.010 it won't be to sweet. Drank my last bottle a couple weeks ago from the last release it smelled like pineapple juice. yum It's not really bitter though it's just right

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14064/56082

My keg sadly ran dry of this one last night. It is a sad day today. This beer was a hair bitter when I first kegged it, but it wore off and was perfect afterward. This actually tasted identical to Zombie dust with an oz of cascade in the dry hop vs Armarillo.

Just started the mash. First attempt at this recipe.

Just added my 4th dry hop addition yesterday and began force carbonation. Hopefully will be drinking quality Citra by this time next week, but the flat sample I had today was awesome.

Curious to know if everyone is going into a secondary with this one? I'd prefer to keep in primary, even with the dry hopping schedule, but would do a secondary if its recommended. Cheers!

Curious to know if everyone is going into a secondary with this one? I'd prefer to keep in primary, even with the dry hopping schedule, but would do a secondary if its recommended. Cheers!

I did my secondary and dry hopping in the keg. Worked great for me. Also, I emailed Kyle from Kern River Brewing, and he told me that he leaves all of the dry hop additions in together until he racks after 12 days of dry hopping...doesn't remove each addition before adding the next.

I did my secondary and dry hopping in the keg. Worked great for me. Also, I emailed Kyle from Kern River Brewing, and he told me that he leaves all of the dry hop additions in together until he racks after 12 days of dry hopping...doesn't remove each addition before adding the next.

Good info, thanks for the post. I would go put it on the first page but system doesn't allow me to edit the post anymore :mad:

This is really good to know... I was under the impression that everyone was pulling out the prior dry hops before adding the newest ones. Sweet! Makes life easier now.

How did you go about adding your dry hops to your keg? Did you use hop bags?

This is really good to know... I was under the impression that everyone was pulling out the prior dry hops before adding the newest ones. Sweet! Makes life easier now.

How did you go about adding your dry hops to your keg? Did you use hop bags?

Yeah, I used a hose clamp to secure the drawstring of my hop bag to the underside of the pressure relief valve on my corny. That way it's easy to pull the bag up enough to open and dump more hops in every 3 days.

Good info, thanks for the post. I would go put it on the first page but system doesn't allow me to edit the post anymore :mad:

Thanks for posting the recipe...it's a really good one. I grew up 45 minutes from Kern River Brewing and didn't get into craft beer until I moved away to Philly, so this might be as close as I can get to having the real thing for a while. At least I can always grab some Just Outstanding and Class V when I go back to visit my parents every year...maybe I'll get lucky and be over there when they have a release day.

I dry hopped mine in the primary leaving the hops in for the full twelve days. Turned out awesome.

ILoveBeer2 said:
I dry hopped mine in the primary leaving the hops in for the full twelve days. Turned out awesome.

Sweet! I'm doing this then. Did you pull each dry hop as you added new ones, or did you leave them? I'm also thinking of bumping up my gravity a bit, maybe shooting for 1.075-80.

This is a delicious brew. I finished a modified batch as I couldn't get my hands on Amarillo. I also reduced the amount of hops added in some areas, many the dry hopping. Even so. A truly great brew. Just finished drinking one

Sweet! I'm doing this then. Did you pull each dry hop as you added new ones, or did you leave them? I'm also thinking of bumping up my gravity a bit, maybe shooting for 1.075-80.

Leave all of the dry hop additions in together.

This is a delicious brew. I finished a modified batch as I couldn't get my hands on Amarillo. I also reduced the amount of hops added in some areas, many the dry hopping. Even so. A truly great brew. Just finished drinking one

I think I'm going to do this again for my next batch, but I'll split the hops in 1/3's between Citra, Mosaic, and Nelson. This grain bill might become my standard for my IIPA's...really nice mouthfeel on this, and I love the honey malt.

I am truley lazy and dry hopped leaf and pellets without a bag. i even cold crashed with the hops in for a few more days. No grassy flavors.

This beer gets better with age. It gets less grapefruit and more balanced every day. Unfortunetly this keg will kick soon. May have to tinker with this one to make it my own. Next time I'm using a different yeast.

Back