Do you guys set a limit on your drinks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobmcstuff said:
I try not to drink too much during the week, maybe the odd beer at home. However I quite often end up going out for a few beers with people after work so I often have a few more one or two nights a week. Hate doing that though because 3+ pints definitely hits me the next day...

The weekends are a completely different matter though...

That's really my thing...the next day. I rarely drink during the week. If I do drink during the week, it is very rarely more than 2.

In an attempt to keep weight gain in check, I generally stick to red wine during the week (1/2 bottle or so with dinner), then 3-5 beers each Sat/Sun depending what's happening.....

downtown3641 said:
One or two on work nights. I tend to drink slowly so moderation tends to just happen. On weekends, I may drink three to five beers. I start earlier but, again, I drink pretty slowly.

This. Some days none, on bad work days, maybe three. Mostly 4-6% beers in my kegs these days, but on weekends I might do 3 bigger beers. Working on a session APA and low Saisons for warmer weather now.

Due to my work schedule, I often go 5-18+ days at a time without a beer. OTOH, I may have 3-7 days off in a row so I'll have 2-4 on most of htose days.

Weeknights, 2 or 3. Weekends... Like 4 to 6. Probably had 7 last night + 2 gin n tonics, but I was celebrating. It's my 4-tap kegerator's fault! Plus, since I like to brew 10 gallon batches at least twice a month, I've got to drink that much just to empty my 13 cornys out! The wife and friends help a little though...

I work a weird rotating shift from noon to midnight, so on days I work it's zero as I come home and go directly to bed after work, and I don't drink in the morning before work (only because I have to drive, it sure would make the day go by faster!). On days I'm off, I try to limit myself to 4 a night if I'm sitting at home strictly so I don't gain any weight from the beers. If I'm out doing things with friends, as long as I don't have to drive I drink as much as I want.

On work nights I keep it under 3 or 10PM, whichever comes first. Other than that, I let my mood and next day responsibilities determine how much I consume.

2 to 3 during week less I'm feeling froggy. Then on weekends its all out free for all.

I drink as often as I want, often a couple each day of the week. For a single sitting I stand up quickly after each beer. If I fall on my face it is time to stop for that day.

Added: I also hate hangovers so I rarely drink to excess.

"Do you guys set a limit on your drinks?"

Yes. I absolutely refuse to drink anything that's not wet....although I'm somewhat leery of water, I hear tell it rusts your pipes.

I don't drink at all Monday through Thursday. Friday through Sunday is open season and I don't put any limits.

I have one every time I come to this site. :drunk:
jk jk..but coming here does make me want to crack one open every time.

I have found myself to be having one or two a night ever since I started brewing but I'm trying to limit it to 4-5days a week. I guess it's the equivalent of others craving soda except that there really is no health benefit with soda vs beer/alcohol*

* in moderation...according to the interwebs. Don't kill me. just regurgitating what I've heard and read.

Yeah... that's not the norm... and was complete bullsh*t on the MD's part.

If you're ever in the back of an ambulance, be honest with the medic. We don't care if you have a substance abuse problem or not (perceived or otherwise)... we need to know what you've got onboard so we can make better medical decisions regarding your emergency care.

</rant>

With you on that one. I'm in anesthesia - I can usually tell a person's drinking habits soon after they go to sleep. I'd rather know about and treat appropriately first than find out later on when it's like I'm giving water.

ETA: I have 1-2 a night during the week unless I'm on call - usually 4x/month. Weekends, 3-6 spread throughout the day.

I usually have 1-3 pints a night during the week, and don't limit myself on Fridays and Saturdays. Had a few more than normal yesterday, but I quit early, so I'm feeling fine today. There's nothing I dislike more, when it comes to beer consumption, than being hungover on a Monday.

I don't drink at all Monday through Thursday. Friday through Sunday is open season and I don't put any limits.

Same here. When I started homebrewing I was doing 1 glass of wine during the week. That turned to 1-2 pints of homebrew. The wife would tell practically every person we'd hang out with that I drank beer every day, so decided to cut back during the week. That and an effort to drop a little more weight. Interesting that cutting those few beers during the week has not had an impact on my weight. Anyhow, it does make pouring the first Fri afternoon beer a bit more exciting. I'll have ~6 pints/day on the weekends. Usually start 1-2 pm and close it down around 10 pm.

The wife would tell practically every person we'd hang out with that I drank beer every day.

That wouldn't stop me from drinking beer every day. I don't get trashed and I don't drive if I've had more than two. I don't run around with the boys all night. She doesn't much care what I do at home.

I drink every day (nearly) but generally no more than 2 or 3. Very rarely I will go on a "bender" and have 5 or MAYBE 6 but I always regret it the next day.

I have 3+ when I'm home. With my schedule, that usually means 3 to 4 days. When I get to the hotel at my destination terminal, I might have 1 or so to relax (it's BMC territory and they don't have any decent craft beer to speak of).I don't set any limits on what I drink, but I don't hardly ever get drunk (unless it's at my annual BBQ, or New Years Eve).

Yes; I limit myself to three beers a weeknight, and I try not to drink every night. Weekends are fair game, but I tend not to drink to excess during the day. Cycling season, which, for me, began just prior to St. Patrick's Day (a 20-degree Saturday), has a direct impact on my drinking habits, and I tend to cut back on beer. I also will not drink when I'm really angry or depressed.

pedimac said:
With you on that one. I'm in anesthesia - I can usually tell a person's drinking habits soon after they go to sleep. I'd rather know about and treat appropriately first than find out later on when it's like I'm giving water.

ETA: I have 1-2 a night during the week unless I'm on call - usually 4x/month. Weekends, 3-6 spread throughout the day.

I had surgery about a year ago and in the conference with the anesthetist (sp?), he made it clear how he would determine how much to use. He asked "If I were picking up your tab at a bar, how much would it cost me?" My wife told him "You couldn't afford it". He smiled and said he would double the dose.

interesting thread! Personally, I struggle with willpower so I limit myself for my own sake. I don't drink at all Monday-Wednesday, and I'll limit myself to 2 max (or 1 bomber) on Thursdays and Sundays. Fridays and Saturdays I'll usually have 4 or so beers a night. A couple more if it's a brewday- though I never crack a beer until I'm mashed in...

hey, I can't drive 55. catch my snow drift, man? you smellin' what I'm steppin in? you pickin' up what I'm droppin'? word to your moms, I cam to drop bombs!

really though, I don't have time to limit how many I have on a week night. I go to bed at 9 & chasing 2 boys under 6. even when logged on here.

Weekends here, too. I've been on a lot of antibiotics lately to get rid of a frigging staph infection so that's cut into my drinking habits.

I drink:

A) During our local bottle shares on Sundays.
B) When brewing, one beer limit.
C) On pizza night. Because it's fecking pizza and it needs a beer.

I limit myself to a few times a week, a couple each time, or high gravity just one . When I drink consistently, my head gets foggy, I get fat, and I'm generally slower. That's why each beer has to delicious. Love homebrew, and my friends are thrilled with my habits since they have to drink it so I have room to make more!

I hardly ever drink, which I suppose is weird for a homebrewer. I can go several months without touching a beer.

But when I drink, I don't really have a limit. I drink as I see fit at the time. But it's usually 1-3 beers.

When it comes to the stronger stuff, I drink less if it's something really good like a single malt whisky and more if it's... rum and coke. Although most of the time it's coke and coke.

My drinking is limited strictly by supply and demand, so between being a home brewer, a serious wine enthusiast and helping friends that own a winery, it all balances out.

I drink as much as time will permit. I work a 4-10 schedule that turns into 4-14 to 4-16 hour days. This working bull-$hit is really cramping my style.:drunk:

I normally have 4 or 5 a week, but there are some days I have 4 or 5. It all depends on how "fat" I am, how much homework I have to do and how much weight lifting I've been doing. I try not to drink on lifting days and I've only been lifting 3-4 days/wk.

Since summer is approaching, I have been doing more cardio and less lifting in order to cut down a little, so I am also drinking less and restricting calories more (it's hard to restrict calories if drinking 300 calorie pints!). I try to do about 8% BF in the summer and 12% BF in the winter. :) Winter just means more good food and more good beer!

I have to set limits or else I'll be drinking too much every night. Last night I had about 56 ounces, which is a bit more than 3 pints. I felt it was a bit too much for a weeknight. It's pretty hard to only drink 1 pint when you've got good beer you made around.

I decided to limit myself to drinking beer every other weekday. When i do drink on weeknights it's between 0-3 beers depending on how I'm feeling. Weekends are not restricted. I also started running 3 miles every other day to get myself on shape.

Back