Bottling and priming sugar??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
My directions say to go from my secondary to my bottling pail while mixing in priming sugar after boiled. Since my secondary fermenter has hardly no sediment at all, can I just boil my sugar and pour into the Carboy and slowly stir in and then nettle? Or is it absolutely necessary to move to a bottling pail?

The only reason they say to go to a bottling bucket is to not stir up the sediment in the bottom when mixing in your priming sugar solution. If your secondary is clean you can just bottle from there. The only other advantage to a bottling bucket is the spigot in the side which makes filling bottles easier than trying to maintain the siphon when jumping from bottle to bottle. In the end though as long as you get beer and sugars into the bottle that is all that really matters.

Thanks so much! I don't have a spigot on my bottling bucket so either way I have to syphen and there is hardly any sediment because u waited so long to switch to secondary so I'm gonna just stir in sugar very slowly and bottle

You do not want to stir up the sediment in the secondary. The less yeast in the bottles, the longer the beer will last.

jcs401 said:
Thanks so much! I don't have a spigot on my bottling bucket so either way I have to syphen and there is hardly any sediment because u waited so long to switch to secondary so I'm gonna just stir in sugar very slowly and bottle

Rack to the bottling bucket
Pour the priming solution in the sanitized bucket and rack the beer onto it, the swirl will self mix, no chance of oxidation either, then bottle

****!! I had no sediment in the secondary so I poured small amounts at a time while stiring slowly then let sit for about 3 to 4 minutes. Do you think it's ok?

If you had little to no sediment, you'll be completely fine as long as you didn't aerate/oxygenate the beer.

jcs401 said:
Oxygenate??

By mixing in too much air post fermentation can oxidize the beer which will be detectable by a wet cardboard taste from what I've heard from those that had it happen. As long as you don't vigorously stir your beer(causing foaming and whatnot) you should be fine

First add a spigot to your bottling bucket and get a spring loaded bottling wand. Life will be much easier on bottling day.

Strange that your kit came with a secondary (not needed for most brews), but lacked a spigot on the BB.

So may be a problem. I had no idea how long to boil the priming sugar. I brought it to a boil and then pretty much took it off the stove after about 2 minutes of boil and didn't really let it cool way down and then slowly stored it into my beer and started bottling. Still ok? Or are my bottles going to explode because they are stored at my mother in laws and that could be bad. Lol

jcs401 said:
So may be a problem. I had no idea how long to boil the priming sugar. I brought it to a boil and then pretty much took it off the stove after about 2 minutes of boil and didn't really let it cool way down and then slowly stored it into my beer and started bottling. Still ok? Or are my bottles going to explode because they are stored at my mother in laws and that could be bad. Lol

Nope, perfectly fine as all you are doing is making a simple syrup, by the time you start racking 5 gallons of beer on it, it cools pretty quickly-cheers!

Back