Why Not Squeeze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reno316

Reaction score
So, I do the BIAB technique, using commercial kits (related: If anyone in/around central Indiana wants to teach me all-grain brewing, I'd be more than happy to learn) and every one of them says that after steeping the grains in the mesh bag for XX minutes I should remove the bag, let it drip, and discard... but DO NOT SQUEEZE the bag.

I'm good at following orders (I'm married), but I'm curious for the REASON behind the "don't squeeze" instructions.

Thanks,

JRB

Squeeze away. Just don't let your wife catch you.

This seems to be a myth, kind of like hot side aeration or the yeast autolyzing after 3 weeks in primary. High temps and/or high pH would be the reason why you might get excess tannins pulled from the grains. Not from squeezing. I squeeze the heck out of my grain bag in BIAB and never get this tannin issue.

I'm a noob myself, but ive read to give it a gentle squeeze in posts but also not to go too hard. Ive done only one biab so far and I gave it a good squeeze.

Id be interested to hear what the pros say.

+1, squeeze away!

This rumor started with someone assuming that squeezing would create enough pressure to raise the internal grain temp up over 180F, where tannin extraction starts. HOWEVER, the math wizzes quickly showed that you would need to basically put the grain into a vice to get enough pressure to raise the temp that high, so no issues unless you happen to be insanely strong.

Squeeze away!

Not to mention you might need to sever the nerves in your hand, 170F is hot! I use a saucepan lid to squeeze my BIAB bag against the turkey fryer basket.

Not to mention you might need to sever the nerves in your hand, 170F is hot! I use a saucepan lid to squeeze my BIAB bag against the turkey fryer basket.

This! I too use a saucepan lid to squeeze. I use a colander turned upside down in a bucket to squeeze my grain bag down on.

I also only squeeze if I am hurting for a bit more pre-boil wort volume. I usually let the bag drip for 2-3 minutes and see where I'm at as far as wort volume goes. This usually does the trick for me but sometimes I have to give it a squeeze as well...

There was a guy last fall who ran his grain bag through a fruit press with no issues. Squeeze away.

BIAB is brew in a bag. An all grain technique that lets you mash and biol in a single kettle. Deathbrewer has a great sticky on it.

I'm good at following orders (I'm married), but I'm curious for the REASON behind the "don't squeeze" instructions.

Thanks,

JRB
its a weird holdover from extract steeping grains.

a small amount of grain with a lot of (usually) high ph water, its possible to extract tannins by squeezing the bag.

BIAB uses more grain and less water per pound, your ph is going to be a lot lower, your temps more controlled and you can squeeze all you want.

Dont get too excited squeezing your sack...

Did I mention I'm married? Squeezing my sack is all the excitement I get anymore.

So, OK, this tannin thing. I get that it's a problem if steeping temps get too high, and no I can't squeeze hard enough to create those sorts of temps (g_d d_mn toothpick forearms) and so on. How would I know that I've got a tannin problem? Is it a taste thing? What taste? Color? OG number issue?

In short, what's the ONE thing about a beer that makes you say "I declare, chap, you steeped your grains at a temperature too high, for I would bet my bottom dollar you have tannins..."?

Gracias, all. Still learning.

-- JRB

How would I know that I've got a tannin problem? Is it a taste thing? What taste? Color? OG number issue?

In short, what's the ONE thing about a beer that makes you say "I declare, chap, you steeped your grains at a temperature too high, for I would bet my bottom dollar you have tannins..."?

Gracias, all. Still learning.

-- JRB

Ever sucked on a teabag, that came out of a pot of tea, that had been left steeping too long?? That's what tannic flavour is. Astringent, close to but not quite bitter, kind of a dusty, dry feel on the tongue.

Tannin extraction from grain husks starts at about 180F, assuming your PH is in the low 5s or lower. It takes a good amount of time to get an appreciable amount, though. If you just forget to turn down your burner, and even boil the grain for a couple minutes, you aren't going to get an appreciable amount of tannin extraction. It takes some doin'!

Back