Two hearted ale clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up northern brewers dead ringer kit.
+1
It's fairly close, maybe a but more caramel flavor and a tad darker in appearance.
But ohhhh so good, in fact I got a message from my friend last night saying it was one of the best IPAs he's ever had.

Be warned though, they disappear FAST.

I just do the Deadringer NB all grain kit. Add an extra oz of centennial to the dry hop, 2 total. Its just 2 malts, 2row and C40, centennial hops, and Bells yeast fermented at 65 for moderate esters similar to 2H. Ramp to 67 at end of fermentation for a higher burst of fruity esters, if desired

I'm down to 8 left of my 2nd batch. Dang.

The clone beergolf mentioned is actually one of my house beers (I didn't create the recipe or anything though). I did it with S04 the first time (since I had some on hand) and it came out very very close. If I would have thrown a 2 hearted label on it you probably wouldn't know unless I told you. We tried them side-by-side blindfolded. We have since harvested Bell's yeast, so our next batch should be spot on.

I've seen a few recipes calling for a little Munich malt. Some argue that bell uses Vienna. Yet others claim it's just 2row and crystal. What's the deal?! Also I don't have bell' strain. Nb uses American ale for dead ringer. I found a recipe saying amer. ale II is better for this. Again...what's the deal?!

I've seen a few recipes calling for a little Munich malt. Some argue that bell uses Vienna. Yet others claim it's just 2row and crystal. What's the deal?! Also I don't have bell' strain. Nb uses American ale for dead ringer. I found a recipe saying amer. ale II is better for this. Again...what's the deal?!

There is more than one way to skin a cat and there is more than one way to get a necessary flavor profile. Until Bell's releases their recipe, or someone sneaks in and watches them make it, everyone is just guessing. Like I said, I've tried them side by side, and that recipe beergolf mentioned is spot on, even using S04. The difference in taste was negligible, and you probably wouldn't know there was a difference, without me telling you.

It's not hard to harvest yeast from a bottle if you want it to be truly authentic. In a nutshell, you pour out all but the last ~1/2"-1" of the bottle, and put that last bit in a starter. After that, just step it up as necessary, until it looks like you have enough yeast. You can find more detailed info on here. I used dregs from 2 bottles of Two-Hearted, but I have heard that Bell's using the same yeast for almost all of their beers. You can harvest from their amber too, I know for sure.

Yup Harvesting Bells is not that hard. I would recommend starting with dregs of 3 bottles (at least 2). Generally using their lower ABV beers is better, but I've done it twice (Best Brown and 2H). I usually feed it a 1.030 starter thats only 1 cup in volume. Give a few days to wake up. Then feed a pint starter, give 2-3 days, and then a 1-1.25 quart starter. Good to go. This yeast is very versatile, so its plenty worthwhile IMO.

Hi folks- I'm new here and on my first batch- an extract with partial grain recipe similar to the dead ringer recipe. The OG was 1.06, after a strong fermentation for 9 days (and no bubbles consistent at the end) I moved to secondary for 12 days of dry hopping. No action bubble wise at the end. FG was 1.02 and I bottled last night. My question- I mixed up my recipes and their fermentation time and should have let this batch go longer. Based on the above is my batch ruined? Enough fermenting time?

You can skip the secondary and just leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks and then dry hop 3-7 days.

Just using all centennial hops and ~95% base malt will get you very close to THA.

Back