Beer tastes better over time? Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two batches of beer in the keg have shown me that beer seems to *dramatically* change taste over time. A seemingly scorched extract batch has lost that burnt taste, as it carbs up and ages. The more extreme flavors are being moderated, but why?

What exactly is happening? A chemical process?

What exactly is happening? A chemical process?

Yes. When you consider all of the wonderful organic compounds present in home brewed beer, it's not surprising that letting it age changes the character profile.

I've noticed a difference in just a 3-day period in some amber ale right after I had put in my keezer. Two more weeks later, it was superb.

Yes. When you consider all of the wonderful organic compounds present in home brewed beer, it's not surprising that letting it age changes the character profile.

I've noticed a difference in just a 3-day period in some amber ale right after I had put in my keezer. Two more weeks later, it was superb.

Yes, that is what I am seeing. I brewed a full LME Dunkel-weizen, and being a new person, I boiled that extract for a long time. When done, it tasted bad, like, "I cannot drink this!"

Now, it is more like "Hey, this is not bad."

So something has changed, but as an engineer, I want to know what :ban:

So something has changed, but as an engineer, I want to know what :ban:

LOL. My son the Mech.E. would appreciate that. Unfortunately, I don't think you can quantify it.

I had a glass of delicious cream ale home brew a few months ago. The friend who brewed it said that until it was almost 18 months old, it tasted like barnyard scrapings. Go figure.

Back