WLP630 I am confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy2133

Reaction score
I need some help getting set straight on what to expect with the yeast/lacto blend. I brewed this Saturday night (started at 11:30pm). I did not know what this yeast was till Sunday afternoon when I looked up optimal fermentation temp.

2.5gal Extract Batch, 2.5gal boil for 45min

1Lb Bamberg Wheat
3Lbs Bavarian Wheat DME
0.30oz Citra (13%) @ 45min
0.25oz Citra @ 0min steeped 5min
Cooled using an ice bath, this took between 25-40min to get to 80 degrees.
Topped off with 0.5gal water and shook the hell out of the fermenter
OG 1.060
It is fermenting at 68-70 in my SOFC

Recipe is what the guy at the brew shop makes and claims it is a nice wheat beer without the clove and banana esters of a German Hef. I reduced the last hop addition that originally was 0.50oz after smelling the Citra for 45min I was getting a head ache (sorry beer was not part of the problem). I do not know the guys work schedule and the next best source is here.

I have never had a sour beer so I do not know what they taste like.

My Questions:
Will this have some tart character to it?
Can I treat it like a wheat beer and drink it young?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks
-fuzzy-

I need some help getting set straight on what to expect with the yeast/lacto blend. I brewed this Saturday night (started at 11:30pm). I did not know what this yeast was till Sunday afternoon when I looked up optimal fermentation temp.

2.5gal Extract Batch, 2.5gal boil for 45min

1Lb Bamberg Wheat
3Lbs Bavarian Wheat DME
0.30oz Citra (13%) @ 45min
0.25oz Citra @ 0min steeped 5min
Cooled using an ice bath, this took between 25-40min to get to 80 degrees.
Topped off with 0.5gal water and shook the hell out of the fermenter
OG 1.060
It is fermenting at 68-70 in my SOFC

Recipe is what the guy at the brew shop makes and claims it is a nice wheat beer without the clove and banana esters of a German Hef. I reduced the last hop addition that originally was 0.50oz after smelling the Citra for 45min I was getting a head ache (sorry beer was not part of the problem). I do not know the guys work schedule and the next best source is here.

I have never had a sour beer so I do not know what they taste like.

My Questions:
Will this have some tart character to it?
Can I treat it like a wheat beer and drink it young?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks
-fuzzy-

An interesting recipe to say the least. If you want a crisp wheat beer without the clove or banana, wyeast 1007, 1010 are better choices.

Typically with this blend, the 630, the recommendation is to keep the bittering very low to promote the lacto growing and thus, after a few months, produce a tart beer. It is paired with a neutral strain not unlike wlp036. I found that the tart / sour character takes a few months to develop.

You could call it an Imperial Americal Weisse.

Here's one I made that was okay:
65% pale malt
25% flaked wheat
10% dark Munich (10l)
Bitter with tettnang, magnum, hallertau or wilamette for 15 ibu. O.g. Maybe 1.045 ish.
Use wyeast 1007

He was talking about using a Berliner Weisse yeast strain so I don't think he grabbed the wrong vial.

Just so I under stand this high IBU's can stop the lacto from growing? Beer smith calculated about 28 IBU's with my equipment profile.

Could one use WLP630 to accomplish what WLP036 does?

He was talking about using a Berliner Weisse yeast strain so I don't think he grabbed the wrong vial.

Just so I under stand this high IBU's can stop the lacto from growing? Beer smith calculated about 28 IBU's with my equipment profile.

Could one use WLP630 to accomplish what WLP036 does?

Yes, high levels of bittering have an inhibitory effect on the lacto. Not to the point of killing it, just slowing it.

Not sure I understand your second question.

Could you use WLP630 as a substitute for WLP036? Theoretically in the right conditions (since hops have the inhibitory effect on lacto).

EDIT: Now knowing that hops slow lacto; I think the idea behind his recipe is to drink it young before it can develop a tart character.

Could you use WLP630 as a substitute for WLP036? Theoretically in the right conditions (since hops have the inhibitory effect on lacto).

EDIT: Now knowing that hops slow lacto; I think the idea behind his recipe is to drink it young before it can develop a tart character.

Yes you could, but why? If the goal is a crisp clean beer, use a pure strain. If the goal is a tart beer , use the blend. I can use a slotted screw driver to open a bottle, but a bottle opener is the correct tool for the job.

... I can use a slotted screw driver to open a bottle, but a bottle opener is the correct tool for the job...

That is a true statement!

When I catch up with the guy (I need to get his name; Cool person to talk to in general too) Ill ask him what the finished beer should taste like.

Back