Sub Light DME for Wheat LME Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
What should I expect subbing Light DME for Wheat LME?

Here's my guess:
1. Darker color
2. Lower OG

My IPA recipe called for:
66% Pilsen LME
33% Light DME

Instead I brewed with:
66% Pilsen LME
33% Wheat LME

So far my results seem to be darker and much less hoppy, but it's still early as it's only been fermenting for 1 week.

I'm a little disappointed that almost a week later I've had zero replies?

Can someone speak to the flavor profile that subbing 33% of your Light DME with Wheat LME will result in?
I can guess darker, but will it be more malty than Light, etc?

It won't necessarily be darker considering wheat malt is usually the same lovibond as 2-row. The true difference will be malt flavor. Imagine a kolsch or pilsener mixed with a witbier, minus the yeast character. That would probably be the most accurate description of what you'll have in the end as it pertains to malt character. Lastly, wheat works well in IPAs and other hoppy beers. However, I usually only see 4-7% wheat in IPAs for head retention purposes, not so much flavor. Though Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' uses 50% wheat. The other 50% though is 2-row, not Pilsen malt.

Did you go with %33 percent by weight?

Like mentioned above, the color wont change, wheat is light. Attenuation should be similar. I wouldnt count on a "hefe" flavor unless you pitched a "hefe" yeast. But the difference in malty ness should be slightly different with a wheaty undertone, dont worry it wont be prominent. By percentage there is only 16-17 percent wheat in your beer so thats actually a good amount for creative purposes. It should turn out just fine.

Did you go with %33 percent by weight?

Like mentioned above, the color wont change, wheat is light. Attenuation should be similar. I wouldnt count on a "hefe" flavor unless you pitched a "hefe" yeast. But the difference in malty ness should be slightly different with a wheaty undertone, dont worry it wont be prominent. By percentage there is only 16-17 percent wheat in your beer so thats actually a good amount for creative purposes. It should turn out just fine.

It's a 10 gallon DIPA extract recipe (OG 1.076 - 90 IBUs) so the stats are:
13lbs 3.2oz LME Pilsen Light
6lbs 9.6oz LME Wheat

I used 10 oz of Hops total and when I brewed this with Light DME It seemed hoppier maybe? I'm thinking that maybe the light brought a crisper, more Kolschy base over the Wheat that seems silkier and smoother. Both good in their own right, but now I've got some adjusting on the fly to compensate for the differences.

Regardless I've got an almost completely different beer on my hands now and while it's good I am thinking it needs some more dry hopping for aroma.

The color is also more of a golden/amberish color too.

It won't necessarily be darker considering wheat malt is usually the same lovibond as 2-row. The true difference will be malt flavor. Imagine a kolsch or pilsener mixed with a witbier, minus the yeast character. That would probably be the most accurate description of what you'll have in the end as it pertains to malt character. Lastly, wheat works well in IPAs and other hoppy beers. However, I usually only see 4-7% wheat in IPAs for head retention purposes, not so much flavor. Though Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' uses 50% wheat. The other 50% though is 2-row, not Pilsen malt.

I think you are dead on in that it's less kolschy or crisp and more of a smooth amberish flavor. The kolsch characteristics made the hops pop more and they are not as apparent with the wheat.

I'll have to figure out what to dry hop with after using these guys in the boil/
Columbus, Citra, Centennial, Zythos, and Amarillo.

I'll probably try some Mosaic for half and not sure yet for the other. Wonder how Galaxy would work?

Here's a pic of my progress 2 weeks into fermentation. Gravity is at 1.022 with OG at 1.076

image-3293679967.jpg

Back