Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
walterweiss_zps6ee89eda.jpg

Haven't actually made the beer yet. From my online research, meth tastes salty, bitter and metallic, so I'm thinking a hopped up gose.

This is too awesome! I may have to steal your name or use something similar.

My first label for my first Homebrew. I'm a big browns fan, so this just made sense to me... Oh, and Shikaru is the Akkadian (ancient Babylon) word for Beer... The symbol under Shikaru is how you write Shikaru in Akkadian.

We had some Hebrew a few pages back, and now Akkadian! Are you studying that?

And a few more... As you can see, I've started using a kind of template I made, which makes it a lot easier to make a new label each time.

Dude, You are insanely talented with this! I haven't the foggiest on where I would start to make labels like yours. :mug:

Dude, You are insanely talented with this! I haven't the foggiest on where I would start to make labels like yours. :mug:

Haha. Thanks! I only use Gimp (free photoshop like software). Those two were probably the hardest ones I've made so far. I had to make the Starbuck's logo myself. My other ones are fairly easy. I just find a main picture on Google Image search, and then a texture for the background. I then look at dafont.com for a fitting font. I'm no graphics designer or anything. Like I said, having a template makes it a lot easier. :)

Is that Boston's Government Center in the last one? I used to live there. What an ugly public space! (I think the AIA will agree with me.) :

Yep - Boston City Hall by Kallman/McKinnell (1968). Certainly a style that is hard to love, but I can't say that we'd ALL agree with you. I wrote about it in school and used to stay across the street when working in Boston. And to keep things on topic, I sure miss travelling to Boston to stop in at Cambridge Brewing and Lord Hobo.

tmac2050 said:
...And to keep things on topic, I sure miss travelling to Boston to stop in at Cambridge Brewing and Lord Hobo.

+1 for the redirect. One of my haunts was Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston. They had 200+ beers on tap, an it was within stumbling distance of my apartment. I think I must've kept the place going singlehanded. :) I don't miss a lot of things about Boston, but one of them is definitely Sunset.

Cheers!

We had some Hebrew a few pages back, and now Akkadian! Are you studying that?
Not studying it now, but I did for about four years. I did Hebrew as well as some other Ancient Semitic languages. From what I can tell, beer played a pretty big role in ancient Babylonian society!

Here's my second go at labeling. Plain paper, laser printer, glued on with milk. Got a theme going with Liberty, not sure how the friar fits in, but I've been collecting mugs with these guys on them for 20 years so I'm keeping him.

labels-0173-59275.jpg

Ok so we finally came up with a name: Pugface! I drew up a simple label in word (limiting, yes, but available) and have made several now. A buddy of mine is a great designer and has been working on some actually well designed labels! My mother sells printing and said she'd print them for us, so all the stars are aligning!
This got me excited: here's a few 'prototypes' if you will. I've been using them to take to parties or give as gifts to gauge what people think of the look:

image-1543267277.jpg

image-2560884848.jpg

image-1120633952.jpg

image-3944740845.jpg

The QR actually scans, it just pulls up a text thanking you for choosing PUGFACE! I might start making custom ones for each beer, we'll see.

He's a label my designer friends been working on:

image-2624359674.jpg

And he's also been working on a logo of sort. I love the logo and actually just bought 100 custom caps from Bottle Mark with this logo:

image-785230111.jpg

We're still trying to define our 'look' but thought I post some progress thus far!

It's awesome seeing everyone's hard work, all of it is inspiring!

EDIT 4/24/13

Here are some more labels for beers that are fermenting/conditioning... THOUGHTS?

image-407450708.jpg

image-148740757.jpg

image-4244022214.jpg

image-905959904.jpg

image-893909838.jpg

Cheers! And stay tuned, more to come...

My bluetooth earpiece voice to text munges words a lot. So, what I was voice texting my brother about my new 44 Quart Kettle this label was inspired...

44CourtCattle-IPA-HBT.jpg

Just wanted to give an update on what my label looks like now. What do you guys think?

-2.jpg

This one actually needs a small introduction:

I play EVE Online - an MMORPG game, the likes of "World of Warcraft" but in space.

Solar systems in EVE have security ratings - 0.0 to 1.0. 0.0 is "lawless" space - anything can happen. It's a rather crazy place in which to "live" and play.

To me, it's the perfect environment for a Black IPA - in of itself a rather "lawless" beer...

EVE Online has a huge following. I think the developers (based in Iceland) would love something like this:

Jl61ewdl.jpg

(Pretty easy to make, considering that the developers have all kinds of screenshots available to borrow.)

Just wanted to give an update on what my label looks like now. What do you guys think?

Love the look of that.

How did you do the wax? I went to Michael's and got some candle making wax and used it to wax some bottles of mead. In about 2 hours, it cracked and started falling off. :(

Love the look of that.

How did you do the wax? I went to Michael's and got some candle making wax and used it to wax some bottles of mead. In about 2 hours, it cracked and started falling off. :(

Candle wax is a hard wax so it will harden then crack fast, you can order bottling wax pellets from most homebrew sites. My lhbs carries wax for making cheese that works great as well. Most food grade wax should work better than candle wax.

Looks great from afar. Do you have just the logo file you can upload? It's hard to see what's actually on the label.

Yeah! Here it is. The writing on the right was too small and is essentially illegible, but I didn't want to go back and fix it after I had printed it--next time I will.

Sonambulo8.jpg

Love the look of that.

I went to Michael's for all the stuff I needed to make the bottle wax myself, but, yeah, candle wax won't work.

You can buy the bottle wax from your lhbs or online and it's really easy that way, but it tends to be expensive and doesn't leave much room for customization or experimentation.

The recipe I used was 22 hot glue sticks, 10 crayons, 1/8lb paraffin wax, and purple glitter. With this recipe, they are plasticy--almost as much as a Maker's Mark bottle--but they crack open easily with a regular bottle opener.

The thread with the bottle wax experiment and results of those who used the evolving recipe is here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/hot-glue-bottle-wax-experiment-127485/

I went to Michael's for all the stuff I needed to make the bottle wax myself, but, yeah, candle wax won't work.

You can buy the bottle wax from your lhbs or online and it's really easy that way, but it tends to be expensive and doesn't leave much room for customization or experimentation.

The recipe I used was 22 hot glue sticks, 10 crayons, 1/8lb paraffin wax, and purple glitter. With this recipe, they are plasticy--almost as much as a Maker's Mark bottle--but they crack open easily with a regular bottle opener.

The thread with the bottle wax experiment and results of those who used the evolving recipe is here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/hot-glue-bottle-wax-experiment-127485/

Outstanding! Thank you. :mug:

Yeah! Here it is. The writing on the right was too small and is essentially illegible, but I didn't want to go back and fix it after I had printed it--next time I will.

This may be old news to you, but make sure your image is a minimum of 300 dpi. For a lot of small ext, you might want to go higher - even up to 500 dpi. That's what CD booklets are often printed in. If you roll with the Internet-standard 72 dpi, it'll look awful in print.

Again, you might already know this, but if not, I hope it helps.

My second homebrew, and second label. This is a belgian dubbel with a little extra corn syrup... I couldn't get the FG down to where I wanted it, so the ABV is actually a little low for a Belgian Dubbel, but it tastes really good, so I guess I don't care. I'm learning...

sweet-francis.jpg

Back