So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a variation of a Strong Scotch Ale that I found in the recipe forum, though I removed all of the Scotch elements, so I guess it's just a barley wine with 25.85 pounds of barley.

Update: Horrible efficiency. Not even close to where it was supposed to be.

G0020705.jpg

IMGP2681.jpg

Brewing BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde this weekend. The last chance I will have to brew at the current home before the move and unsure when I can brew again.

I'd be interested to hear how that turns out. I've never tried that before. What was the OG on the "light" runnings?

Hunter the og was 1.032... it's going to be transfered to the secondary this weekend. gotta do a little sampling :)

this weekend will be a double brew. a revised kona fire rock and an all citra ipa recipe i got from ghosthef. Thanks ghosthef.

I'll be brewing a pale ale recipe with austrailian and new zealand hops this Saturday.

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Est. Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

ESTIMATED STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.01%
IBU (rager): 37.91
SRM (morey): 6.6

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light - (late addition) (53.3%)
1 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (13.3%)
1 lb - Belgian - Munich (13.3%)
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (6.7%)
8 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (6.7%)
8 oz - United Kingdom - Golden Naked Oats (6.7%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.5, IBU: 28.85)

0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.5, IBU: 3.14)
1 oz - Summer for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.9, IBU: 5.92)

0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.5)
1 oz - Summer for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.9)

1 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 7 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop (AA 12.5)
1 oz - Summer for 7 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop (AA 5.9)

MASH STEPS:
1) Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5.5 qt

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

After a long winter hiatus, we're brewing again! The April-Zen, because it's never too early to think about Oktober. (Link to recipe thread sneakily provided to encourage input/feedback).

I just finished a true brew american amber ale and a cascade IPA. 5 gallons of each. I am excited!

Making a 10 gal batch of a IIPA, that got a score of 37.5 last time it was scored per BJCP guidlines... YUuuummmmmm!! but i have been having a problem of recent, my Eff. has been higher that I intend, i set my brew house eff to 85% and i have been getting 87-92.6% its fine for a IIPA but my Amber? not so much.

CR-

I'll be brewing up my first lager this weekend! Also on the agenda is kegging my first batch (cream of three crops) and if I'm feeling really motivated bottling my RyePA. I guess I'll also end up washing the yeast from my cream ale too...

I usually feel like having an extra hand around is a good time to try something complex, but then I also wonder whether bringing in an inexperienced 1st-time brewer will be more trouble than it's worth. Like, "Hey, you just, uh, stir this thing for me. That's important. Go on an' stir there."

Whenever I have new brewers over I try to keep it simple. Use equipment I've used successfully in the past and techniques I'm familiar with. I like their first time watching/helping to be as smooth and uneventful as possible. A good example was my buddy just got a new propane burner, and had invited two of his non-brewing friends over to "help" (i.e. drink beer and watch). When he heated up his water to boil in 15mins (instead of the normal hour on his electric stove) he wasn't prepared. His specialty grains were still in the kettle, he hadn't prepped his extract or hops, and was completely taken off guard (he normally brews AG in a 10gal igloo cooler but figured he would keep it "simple" with extract). The buddies just sort of watched as he ran around grabbing supplies and swearing! He quickly got everything under control, but ultimately the buddies just sort of got in the way. Just one new piece of equipment can throw a wrench into a brew day.

Now when some of my brewing buddies come over, then its time to try some new techniques or experiment! They can help out when things get crazy, or offer ideas/tips if things go wrong. In the above situation had the buddies been brewers, one could be assisting with getting out the specialty grains, while another could have been grabbing the extract and 60 min hop addition.

Either way have fun with your brother in town! I always love having new brewers (or soon to be new brewers over) and sharing my passion! I wish I had some friends/family coming over this weekend...It looks like I'll be out on my back porch brewing alone this weekend...

Looking to do 10gal of either a Tripel or BM's Centennial Blonde this Sunday. Not 100% sure which I'll go with yet. Depends whether I can get a couple vials of wlp530 at the LHBS today when I pick up some starsan.

Making a 5 gallon batch of my Sigtryggr's Legacy Vanilla Whiskey Stout. Last one I made was gone within a week from co-workers and friends...

I've been thinking about making a DIPA due to the lack of hoppy beers on tap, but am waffling because I can probably sneak in another lager or two this season before the temps in the cellar get too high.

I have to rack my red ale to my secondary as I scorched a little LME during the boil. Then I have an Irish stout to brew.

Gonna try something a bit interesting and make an oatmeal chocolate chile stout. Going to use cocoa power, cocoa nibs, flaked oat, chipotle, and few other spicier chiles (I haven't determined what yet). We shall see what happens.

Now mashing
6lbs us pale
3 lbs vienna
2 lbs munich
.5 lb watch of crystal 40 and 60.
Citra and amarillo for hops.

Brewing an American Stout on a US-05 yeast cake from an Irish Red Ale I need to rack to secondary. It's gonna be over 7%, so I'm hoping I'm not really overpitching.

I will finally be able to brew a chinook ipa tomorrow morning with some new brewing equipment

Just bottled 3gals of Northern Brewers 3gal BIAB De Belge Farmouse IPA and racked to secondary Basement Beer (an American Wheat)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.12 lb Pale Liquid Extract
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Target [11.00%] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU

1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

Brewing this one up this weekend!!

Doing a Belgian white with our university's beer club and then maybe an amber if I can find time

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.12 lb Pale Liquid Extract
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Target [11.00%] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU

1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

Brewing this one up this weekend!!