Kombucha starterkit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taxidermist

Reaction score
Where is a good place to buy a starter kit? I am interested in doing a batch, sat in on a seminar at the Mother Earth news fair in seven springs ,pa and didn't write any info down on the process, but now I want to try it out! Thanks I am new to this site

Make your own. Bottle of RAW kombucha, 1 cu. brewed black tea, 2 tbsp. of sugar, put all in your kombucha fermenter and let sit 3-4 weeks until scoby forms.

Then use 1/2 cu of that liquid + scoby to make kombucha. I do 1/2 gal H2O. bring to boil, add heaping 1/2 cu reg. sugar + 8 regular black tea bags. Steep til room temp. Add to scoby/starter. Ready in 5 days or so.

Hey, I'm new as well. I didn't purchase a kit when I started to brew. I actually just grew a SCOBY and then started to brew from there. No kit needed, unless that's really what you have your heart set on. They just seem so expensive. I used a Ball glass jar and added two GT original flavor kombucha bottles to the jar. Covered with cloth, put a rubber band around the top and just let it do it's thing. It took a while because it was cold out (I live in PA as well) but eventually I got a SCOBY and started a bigger batch I could drink.

I'm totally new and DID purchase a kit from Brooklyn Kombucha and just started brewing today! I reasoned that buying a fresh scoby is already half the price of a starter kit, so I just got the whole shabang.

Definitely worth reading this article where the author puts to test the three methods of starting a brew. http://www.foodrenegade.com/kombucha-scoby-experiment/

Its not worth going to any store or calling any numbers...sorry to say.
Good bacterial slants are hard to come by and took me personally months to master.

If you want to start brewing Kombucha buy a synergy raw Kombucha or any brand raw and use that as your starting media- Buy a natural cane sugar- granulated- "In the Raw" brand has really good cane sugar and make your own sweet tea from scratch. A little research and patience and the possibilities are endless. Not trying to be mean to other members- but buying pre made scobies doesn't do the justice of growing your own on a specified starting media (tea or liquid culture) from scratch.

And please don't use a commercially bleached sugar - Organic raw cane makes the best.

Best wishes

Back