Star San and yeast jars...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerzilla81

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, I was wondering, if I could just spray a jar I intend to use for yeast washing, with a more concentrated dose of Star San instead of boiling it in water?

a more concentrated dose of star-san doesn't necessarily make it a better sanitizer. I would say that a normal star-san sanitization would be sufficient but if you wanted to be safe rather and sorry I would boil.

Since my yeast may sit in the fridge for months I boil. It takes a little longer but I think it is better to be safe rather than sorry

when in a pinch i have soaked my jars in a star san solution for a minute or two. spraying isn't enough - give them a proper bath to ensure complete contact, and you need 30 seconds of contact to get proper sanitation (a minute is safer).

safer yet is boiling. no "maybes" when you boil. you are not just sanitized, you're sterilized.

Fill the jar about 2/3 with water and microwave on high to get the water boiling. Then, while it's still boiling hot, put the lid and ring on the jar, tighten and flip upside down to cool. As it cools it will create a vacuum and seal the lid. Once it's cooled and you're ready to add your yeast, pop the lid, dump the water, give jar and lid quick spray with Starsan, fill and cap.

Yea,I would rather boil too. I just wanted to know if I could get away with using Star-San at the spur of the moment. I wouldn't be storing my yeast that long in the fridge. Thanx for the info brewers!

I just use the Starsan spray at normal concentration. I just make sure to wet every bit of the jar surface inside and out. My biggest problem is that I forget to label what is in the jars. I also freeze yeast so I don't use the jars much any more.

I recently saved some of the yeast cake for future brews but didn't boil the jars and just sprayed around to get full coverage. How can I ensure that the yeast is good for my next batch? Is it as simple as just making another starter out of it and if the starter takes off then I am good to go? Or is there the potential that there could be something contaminating the yeast and I shouldn't pitch it into the next batch of wort?

Beerzilla81 said:
Hello fellow brewers, I was wondering, if I could just spray a jar I intend to use for yeast washing, with a more concentrated dose of Star San instead of boiling it in water?

I've been spraying my jars for two years now. Haven't had an issue. Normal concentration. This is just my experience...ymmv.

I just dip my mason jars in star san prior to filling with yeast, I have reused the same yeast now over 7 times with no bad signs from lack of sanitation

Latest posts

Back