Your top 3 favorite hops, and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I'm looking to start a little hop garden and was wondering what everyone's top 3-4 favorite hops are? Since I'll be just planting a few rhizomes this season, I'm looking for types that can be used for a variety of uses so I get the most bang for my buck. I'm in CT so I'm sure that will be a factor on ones that can grow well here.

Any recommendations?

Magnum- clean bitternes for all the beers
Cascade- just great hop for PA IPAS saisons ect
Willamette- i like it in many beers, even belgian beers togather with nobel hops

+1 on Cascade, plus they grow great here in Mass
I also planted Centenial and Nugget
Get em in the ground ASAP!

growing hops this year for the first time. I chose Cascade, Goldings, Northern Brewer and Williamette because they are the four main hops I use

I have a centennial and a cascade inside in a planter and they have both sprouted. I'm glad those are good choices for an overall hop variety.

I was thinking of a third and that's why I started this post. As far as types of beers I like-I like all kinds. Since starting brewing, I've really acquired a taste for IPAs.

What would a good third choice? Not sure how they're going to take over my yard but I heard they grow like crazy. Should I just go with 2 for now?

Columbus would be my first choice. It has tons of resiny, marijuana character, high alpha, and you can use it for a variety of styles anywhere from bittering to dryhop.

Centennial, Chinook, or Nugget for the second choice. Centennial is fruity citrus; Chinook is piney citrus; Nugget is herbal citrus. Magnum is lackluster and very neutral. I wouldn't choose it over these three.

Willamette or Goldings for the third choice. You want a low alpha option that is distinct in character from the other two. Despite being low alpha, Cascade is citrusy and one note, so something earthy, woody, and subtle would give you more versatility.

Just picked some wood to make a hop trellis. I'm going to use two 4x4s at 8 feet tall, bury them about a foot deep at five feet apart. Then at the top I have two 2x6s at 8 feet that will "sandwich" the 4x4 posts to make sort of a pi shape. It will accommodate 3 hop plants nicely.

If anyone is interested I can post the plans I made.

Yeah, I recommend columbus, chinook, and willamette. Cascade is a good choice, and I believe it's really easy to grow, along with columbus, but I'm so tired of cascade. Chinook is probably a little less versatile than cascade, but it's all about what you're using anyhow.

Nugget- all purpose bittering
Cascade/Cenntennial - great citrus hops for ipas
Citra/Amarillo - typical i know, Love the tropical tones from these guys.

EDIT: I should read the question next time....
Ill go off above except for the patented hops, im pretty sure there all available in rizhomes.

the only one that I can constantly pick out and love right now is simcoe. I get a ton of peachy notes from it and it makes every bitter beer better. Citra is moving up my list because of the flavors it gives, but simcoe is the bees knees haha:ban:

Magnum - great bittering hop.
Cascade - great aroma/flavoring hop.

Both of those I use extensively in many styles. But my other favorite I rarely use, and that is Simcoe. That one shows up in a couple of my brews, but I don't like to mix it up with very many things so far.

Back