to small a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
So I saw a keg fr sale and snatched it up. I didnt realize till i cut the top off Its a euro keg and only 13.5 gallons. Not enough head space to boil my 11.5 for a 10 gl batch. A friend said to just sparge 10 gl and get that to hot break and once it settles put the other 1.5 gl in the kettle to avoid boil over. Do you agree or have a better idea?

I would think if you use fermcaps (anti-foaming agent) you should be able to boil 11.5 in a 13.5 vessel. If you cant find the fermcaps locally you can also use unflavored infant anti-gas drops. You will be surprised how well they work.

Fermcaps.jpg

GNP_infant_anti-gas_drops.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that would effect the hot break I need with all grain in any way?

I'm pretty sure once the hot break is done I could boil at a good roll no problem I was just worried about a boil over once it hit break temp.

To help control our boil over we use a spray bottle with cold water in it. Something about dropping the temp of the surface slows the foam down, I'm not sure of the science but it works very well.

Back