Bottles carbing up fast, almost worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled on Sat, 4 days ago, and sampled a beer today. It was fully carbed, according to my taste from drinking Wit beers in Europe. Plenty of "tang" from the carbonation.

This one has only been in the fridge for a few hours, and when I popped the top, it wanted to foam over (I did turn it upside down to mix up the yeast, but no shaking).

If it keeps going like this, I'll have bottle bombs or ginger ale in another week :smack:

edit: just following a kit, no infection seen

Try not turning one upside down, pour some and swirl the bottle and pour the rest. If you are worried about them getting too much carb.just throw them in the fridge

Why would you want to mix in the yeast? New to me. I thought our goal when pouring homebrew was to leave the yeast on the bottom....

You usually want some yeast in a wheat beer.

Try popping the top, pouring half of the beer, giving the remainder a swirl, then pouring the rest.

How much did you brew?
What did you carb with? How much did you use?

Ok, the next one I just opened, and it foamed up to almost overflowing. I left the brew in for 3 weeks, and just followed the kit's instructions. I guess I better find room in the fridge.

I definitely left the yeast on the bottom of the fermenter, but wheat beers normally have a lot of yeast in them, making them cloudy.

My question is: what caused this? Not enough fermentation? Too much priming sugar? I want to do it again :mug:

Ok, the next one I just opened, and it foamed up to almost overflowing. I left the brew in for 3 weeks, and just followed the kit's instructions. I guess I better find room in the fridge.

I definitely left the yeast on the bottom of the fermenter, but wheat beers normally have a lot of yeast in them, making them cloudy.

My question is: what caused this? Not enough fermentation? Too much priming sugar? I want to do it again :mug:

My experience has been that aggressive highly attenuative yeast will do a more thorough job eating through the priming sugar. So that might be part of it. But in your case I think the foaming over was likely more due to the yeast in suspension providing nucleation sites.

Back