I racked to a secondary to dry hop. Is this too much head space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJSIXER

Reaction score
Hey folks. I posted 10 days ago because I had a fermentor that was going crazy and blew the lid right off! The fermentor stopped bubbling about 4 days ago. Starting gravity was about 1.08. I checked the gravity and it was at 1.02. Now I have racked to a secondary because I am dry hopping this recipie and I wanted to free up the primary for another batch.

The only problem is that I lost quite a bit of beer into the blow off during the fermentation. I started with a healthy batch that was a little over 5.5 gallons to account for any that would be lost during fermentation and the trub. Well now I would say that I am somewhere under 5 total gallons. Probably at around 4.75 or maybe a little more. Here is a pic of my secondary before I put it away in a nice cool dark spot. Is that too much head space?

149263_10151585543927790_164271027_n.jpg

There is no picture.............

But, for the 5-7 days I am assuming you plan on dry hopping the beer should be fine as long as it is in a 5 gallon carboy. IF you have it in a 6-6.5 gallon carboy then that would be quite a bit of head space. If you can purge with CO2 it would be beneficial to prevent oxidation.

If the latter size is true I would not go longer than 7 days.

Sorry for the mess up with the pic. It is fixed now. The carboy is the standard 5 gallon type. Let me know what you all think. I don't really have the ability to purge with CO2 as I do not have a readily available supply.

that is certainly too much headspace for extended aging, but for a short dry-hop you should be OK. keep the carboy in a cool place, like a basement, if you can.

also, don't store the carboy where it is exposed to sunlight. throw a shirt or towel over that thing. hopefully you just pulled it out for the pic and covered it up or put it back in the dark a few moments later.

that is certainly too much headspace for extended aging, but for a short dry-hop you should be OK. keep the carboy in a cool place, like a basement, if you can.

also, don't store the carboy where it is exposed to sunlight. throw a shirt or towel over that thing. hopefully you just pulled it out for the pic and covered it up or put it back in the dark a few moments later.

+1 on both points.

It is in a dark place and the temperature will be in the upper 60s. Is a week or 10 days too long?

Ehhh, I dry hopped with that much headspace before. I did it for 12 days. Turned out fine.actually it turned out great! I wouldn't worry about it. Obviously don't dry hop for a long time, grassy beer is not ideal....well sometimes......

Thanks for the replies. I will just go ahead and bottle it a week from now. Hopefully everything ends up tasting good.

Back