Brewers Best RIS with chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBaxter

Reaction score
Hey all today I brewed the Brewers Best RIS with 8oz of cocoa powder added at flameout. I also plan to add some vodka soaked cacao nibs when I rack to secondary. My question is: will this work or did I ruin 5 gallons of beer? I decide don the chocolate additions on a whim and I'm a bit worried

This will definitely work. You've described exactly how my chocolate stout is made, and it's the most award-winningest beer I make.

daksin said:
This will definitely work. You've described exactly how my chocolate stout is made, and it's the most award-winningest beer I make.

Awesome! I love the idea of a rich, chocolate flavored beer to crack open this fall/winter. Thanks for easing my mind!

One more question! Do you think I could soak the nibs in whiskey or is vodka preferable for some reason?

Whiskey is just going to be another flavor- you'll be working on a chocolate whiskey Russian imperial stout. Too much going on in my opinion. It will definitely sanitize the nibs the same as vodka, but vodka doesn't bring any new flavors to the party.

It will definitely sanitize the nibs the same as vodka, but vodka doesn't bring any new flavors to the party.

How long do you let the nibs rest in the vodka to sanitize them? I have to add some to a secondary here soon for an Imperial Stout.

I am also wanting to attempt this same thing, only I'm going to split it three gallons just chocolate, and two gallons chocolate-habanero. Thanks making the post, OP, and daksin for the info.

JLP--usually when I soak things to add, I let them soak in vodka for a week. From what I've read on the forum it seems to be the common practice.

Cathedral said:
JLP--usually when I soak things to add, I let them soak in vodka for a week. From what I've read on the forum it seems to be the common practice.

Agreed. Usually I will start the sanitizing soak (oak chips, cacao nibs, whatever you are adding) at the start of primary fermentation. So they are soaking the whole time. Then I add everything to the secondary-spirits and all. If you don't add the spirits, you'll be losing some extracted flavor. Good luck with the brew!

Back