Boiled first batch today. Is 6 hours bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started my Honey Brown Ale today and it took six hours from beginning make up water boil to in the fermentor waiting for 70degree to pitch. Had a boilover in last two minutes thinking I could pull up temp by covering, not too bad only took 15min to clean up that. Water bath in sink long enough for wort in fermenter to be at 100F after adding 2 gal of make up. Thermometer takes too long to get to actual temp and i jumped the gun. Getting battery for my digital therm. so that wont happen again. At about 90 now. Wonder how long it will take to get to 70 in a 70degree kitchen? Guess I'll pitch in the morning. Hoping just setting the lid on with a stopper in hole will minimize chances for infection till then.:confused:

Started my Honey Brown Ale today and it took six hours from beginning make up water boil to in the fermentor waiting for 70degree to pitch. Had a boilover in last two minutes thinking I could pull up temp by covering, not too bad only took 15min to clean up that. Water bath in sink long enough for wort in fermenter to be at 100F after adding 2 gal of make up. Thermometer takes too long to get to actual temp and i jumped the gun. Getting battery for my digital therm. so that wont happen again. At about 90 now. Wonder how long it will take to get to 70 in a 70degree kitchen? Guess I'll pitch in the morning. Hoping just setting the lid on with a stopper in hole will minimize chances for infection till then.:confused:

Next time chill the wort in the BK and top off fermenter when the wort has chilled to about 80 degrees. Since your fermenter is at 90 now I would make an ice bath tonight and chill to 75-80 and pitch tonight. The longer you wait to pitch yeast the more chances you'll have for infection.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Wort in ice water now. I stir and check temp, down to 86 now. Getting back at it. Later

My first batch sat in the covered fermenter over night. I just couldn't get the temp down, got tired and went to bed. Pitched in the morning before work. Beer turned out fine

My first batch sat in the covered fermenter over night. I just couldn't get the temp down, got tired and went to bed. Pitched in the morning before work. Beer turned out fine

I'm sure it was. It's just a known fact that wort that is not fermenting has a higher chance of infection. The goal is to chill the wort ASAP and pitch that yeast. Once there is a co2 barrier and alcohol in the beer the chances of infection decrease. Also it is much easier and faster to chill 2 gal of wort in the BK vs 5 gal in the fermenter (granted you are doing partial boils).

GnarlyDudeBrewer said:

Your utilizing the no chill method, I've done 60+ batches this way (cooking, covering the wert with a lid and then pitching yeast in the morning) and I've not experienced a problem. Relax have a homebrew.

- John

Thanks for all the suggestions, will put them in my database. Icebathed to 70, pitched, put on lid and airlock, resting in 65 degree room, time for a nap.

I get up this morning after first brew day yestetday and no buubles through airlock. There is a little pressure though, it has pushed all the liquid to one side of the S style air lock. So something is happening. I can't help but worrying anyway, next thing to agonize over; since I sprinkled the yeast ,S-05. on the top and did not stir in, put on lid and scooted the bucket under a table, I am wondering, could I have sloshed all my yeasts up the sides of the bucket and the're not awake yet? Was unsure about opening up to see if I should scrape down the sides and stir it up or not?

I get up this morning after first brew day yestetday and no buubles through airlock. There is a little pressure though, it has pushed all the liquid to one side of the S style air lock. So something is happening. I can't help but worrying anyway, next thing to agonize over; since I sprinkled the yeast ,S-05. on the top and did not stir in, put on lid and scooted the bucket under a table, I am wondering, could I have sloshed all my yeasts up the sides of the bucket and the're not awake yet? Was unsure about opening up to see if I should scrape down the sides and stir it up or not?

I would leave it alone for a awhile. It can take up to 72 hours to show signs of fermentation...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Back