Chopper's Red Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enkamania

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Georgetown Chopper's Red recipe? If not, can anyone build one from these clues from the brewer

Two-row Pale, Crystal, Cara-Pilsner, Munich, and Dark Barley Malt.
Centennial and Crystal Hops. IBU's 41. Original gravity 1.064 (15.75
Plato). Finishing gravity 1.015 (3.75 Plato). English Ale Yeast.
Alcohol by volume 6.5%.

Thanks

Never had it, but seems like a reasonable mix of grains/hops.

Ballpark:
80% Pale
10% Munich
6% Crystal (maybe a blend of dark and medium)
2% Carapils
2% Chocolate malt

Enough to get 1.064 on your system. Mash ~152 F.

75 min boil with 41 IBUs with the Centennial @60 min (how much will depend on the AA% of the hops).

I'd go with 1 oz of Crystal at the end of the boil. Reviews seem mixed about how hoppy the aroma is, you could certainly add some Centennial near the end as well. You can always dry hop if you want more aromatics.

I really like 1968/002 (Fullers strain), leaves some sweetness, not too minerally/fruity, and it ferments/clears quickly.

You can always contact the brewery to get some details. Heck if you live near there ask if you can bring in a sanitized growler next time they are dumping yeast to take some home (good chance to talk shop with the brewer as well).

Good luck.

Wondering how this turned out? I heard Georgetown will actually give you their spent yeast, but I don't know if it's true. I know they change it out every few batches so maybe it is.

I've never asked them for yeast, but they are super nice and might just give it to you. It came out really good, slightly sweeter than Chopper, but great taste. May have to make this again

If you want it drier you could go WLP007, similar character to 002, but with higher attenuation. Kicked ass in an IPA I brewed last summer.

Back