Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine said he wanted to make a HB version of budweiser because "all those craft beers are too dark". I may need to educate this man on good beer..

Yes you should. If he wants Bud, tell him to just go buy a case.

The commercial fizzy beers are actually one of the hardest to clone. Not impossible, but pretty tough. They need to be super clean because they have little flavor to mask ANY mistake in the brewing process.

My lovely m-i-l has been trying so hard to continue to engage and let me know that she cares about me, and thus cares about my hobbies. The other day she said "I just had a craft beer the other day! Its called I think 'Blue Moon'!"

I explained, very carefully that it was produced by the big boys but it definitely doesnt taste like the same old same old. She said she really liked it. Maybe Ill bring her some and some craft White and see which one she likes better.

My girlfriends mom (might as well be MIL) has bought me a number of brewing books as gifts. I couldn't ask for more!

Took a milk stout to a friends place, he told me it was "too strong" for him. It wasn't very roasty at all (its a milk stout!) so I dont think he meant that, and at only 5% it wasn't too potent. The next week we went out for a beer and he ordered beer after beer of Victory Golden Monkey, which at 9.5% you can TASTE the alcohol! At least he doesn't like BMC....

Oh, and he likes my other stuff. As long as what they try isn't jet black I seem to have a pretty good time with non craft drinkers.

I still never understand what people mean by "too strong" when they try stout. There has to be some flavor they are refering to but just cant articulate.

I have a friend - great guy, loves to drink craft brews. He's a bit odd though. Very much into hoppy flavors, to the point of being kind of a self-described beer snob. If something literally doesn't remove the enamel from your teeth its not hoppy enough. He was describing some amazing IPA he had recently, only this one was extra special cause "it also had malt in it". :D I'm 99% sure he meant the ingredient, not the flavor, but I didn't pursue it any further.

I still never understand what people mean by "too strong" when they try stout. There has to be some flavor they are refering to but just cant articulate.

I think it's just how humans use sight so much when it comes to taste. People see the color and expect a certain taste. So no matter what it really tastes like, it's always, "Too Strong" "Too Bitter" and the one I get a lot, "Too Thick" I have a nut brown that I had on tap that was a fairly low gravity, low alcohol beer, with a faily mild hoppiness. Of the other two on Tap, an Amber and an IPA, aside from the color, the brown was easily the closest to BMC of the three. At least as far as being meant to be a mild, every day drinker. Yet all my BMC friends said the same think, "Too Strong" and one even said "Too Thick" yet they were all happily drinking the IPA that's up around 6.5% ABV.

I'm sure, in a blind taste test, literally, with their eyes covered. All the BMC guys would choose the nut brown.

I don't understand the color being the problem. Americans pound down gallons of coke and Pepsi but hand them a stout or a porter and its like your asking them to drink battery acid. Weird.

My guess is they are referring to the roastiness. It's like someone who doesn't drink coffee and tries a cup. Bitter...astringent...

IMO/E, I'd have to say "acrid"; that harsh, burnt character that is contributed by the darkest grains (ie significantly darker than even chocolate malt), especially roasted barley. What many people mistakenly call "astringent" - which isn't actually even a flavor or taste, but rather a sensation/mouthfeel

My lovely m-i-l has been trying so hard to continue to engage and let me know that she cares about me, and thus cares about my hobbies. The other day she said "I just had a craft beer the other day! Its called I think 'Blue Moon'!"

I explained, very carefully that it was produced by the big boys but it definitely doesnt taste like the same old same old. She said she really liked it. Maybe Ill bring her some and some craft White and see which one she likes better.

My mom was a big Blue Moon fan and she loves the Allagash White now.

I don't understand the color being the problem. Americans pound down gallons of coke and Pepsi but hand them a stout or a porter and its like your asking them to drink battery acid. Weird.

I think I would like to see this.
"Gallons" - 2 gallons is less than 8 liters, or four 2 liter bottles
Not sure of the definition of "pounding"

But I can personally guarantee you that a fat soda drinker can go through four two liter bottles in the span of an afternoon.

Is it even healthy to drink a gallon of WATER a day?
The "standard" recommendation of eight 16 oz glasses of water a day equals a gallon.

Back when I worked on a construction crew, I routinely drank 2 gallons during a 9 hour work day. On especially hot or hard-working days, it wasn't out of the question to drink 3-4 gallons. And then drank more when I got home.

A discussion my wife and I had yesterday...
Wife: you haven't been drinking very much beer lately.
Me: I just had knee surgery and my activity level is way down since last October (when knee injury occurred)
Wife: that doesn't explain why you haven't been drinking...
Me: I'm trying to not resemble my 15 gallon brew kettle!

Might not be that funny but it was at the time.

My hypothesis, it is shattered ;)
Not entirely, it is possible to drink too much water. It's called Water Intoxication, and basically you dilute the sodium in your body too much. But that's really hard to do.

And personally, the days that I'd put down 3+ gallons on the job site, odds were pretty good that by 10 AM, my shirt looked like I had just jumped into the pool with it on. (The worst day, we started at 7:30, and by 8:30 I could wring my shirt out like it had just come out of the washing machine)

Not entirely, it is possible to drink too much water. It's called Water Intoxication, and basically you dilute the sodium in your body too much. But that's really hard to do.

And personally, the days that I'd put down 3+ gallons on the job site, odds were pretty good that by 10 AM, my shirt looked like I had just jumped into the pool with it on. (The worst day, we started at 7:30, and by 8:30 I could wring my shirt out like it had just come out of the washing machine)

Yep been there done that, 2 gallons isn't uncommon when its 105 degrees and I'm on a roof working

MotorcycleMatt said:
Yep been there done that, 2 gallons isn't uncommon when its 105 degrees and I'm on a roof working

Damn! I'm lucky if I drink a gallon of water a month. I get my liquid intake from beer, monsters, and coffee. The base for all of them is water, right?

I think it's just how humans use sight so much when it comes to taste. People see the color and expect a certain taste. So no matter what it really tastes like, it's always, "Too Strong" "Too Bitter" and the one I get a lot, "Too Thick" I have a nut brown that I had on tap that was a fairly low gravity, low alcohol beer, with a faily mild hoppiness. Of the other two on Tap, an Amber and an IPA, aside from the color, the brown was easily the closest to BMC of the three. At least as far as being meant to be a mild, every day drinker. Yet all my BMC friends said the same think, "Too Strong" and one even said "Too Thick" yet they were all happily drinking the IPA that's up around 6.5% ABV.

I'm sure, in a blind taste test, literally, with their eyes covered. All the BMC guys would choose the nut brown.

Sight and color (scent as well) all play a part in a perceived taste. It's really interesting actually:
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/coltaste.html
http://www.colormatters.com/does-color-affect-taste

I used to put away a half case of caffeinated pop (at least it had no sugar) at work. Plus another 6 or 8 cans before and after. I had to slowly wean myself off the stuff over a period of a few weeks. It wasn't so much the rapid heart rate that was bothering me. It was when it would pause... now and then... that freaked me out. :D Now the only pop I drink is caffeine free (and sugar free and sodium free) and the only caffeine I get is from one mug of regular coffee each morning.

I used to put away a half case of caffeinated pop (at least it had no sugar) at work. Plus another 6 or 8 cans before and after. I had to slowly wean myself off the stuff over a period of a few weeks. It wasn't so much the rapid heart rate that was bothering me. It was when it would pause... now and then... that freaked me out. :D Now the only pop I drink is caffeine free (and sugar free and sodium free) and the only caffeine I get is from one mug of regular coffee each morning.
Yep. If I have a monster on my way to work, and more than one or two cups of coffee at my desk, by lunch the ol' pump will start to miss a beat here and there. NOT a pleasant feeling.

I still keep a case or two of Monster at home, but it's reserved ONLY for mornings where I had a late night/early morning fire call and REALLY need the extra pick-me-up to get going to my regular job in the morning.

A discussion my wife and I had yesterday...
Wife: you haven't been drinking very much beer lately.
Me: I just had knee surgery and my activity level is way down since last October (when knee injury occurred)
Wife: that doesn't explain why you haven't been drinking...
Me: I'm trying to not resemble my 15 gallon brew kettle!

Might not be that funny but it was at the time.

Hmm...A wife complaining that you haven't been drinking enough beer lately? I'm not buying it. :D

Yep. If I have a monster on my way to work, and more than one or two cups of coffee at my desk, by lunch the ol' pump will start to miss a beat here and there. NOT a pleasant feeling.

I still keep a case or two of Monster at home, but it's reserved ONLY for mornings where I had a late night/early morning fire call and REALLY need the extra pick-me-up to get going to my regular job in the morning.

Damn what does it fell like when your eart misses? I use to drink to much energy drink but ave just stopped. This thread just got serious! :D

Damn what does it fell like when your eart misses? I use to drink to much energy drink but ave just stopped. This thread just got serious! :D
You don't notice the "miss" so much as the next beat - it's like your heart pumps twice as hard on the next beat to make up for it. And you can honest to God FEEL that beat. It's like getting hit in the chest with a baseball. Not HARD, mind you, but enough of a 'thump' you notice it. (the reason that I notice it might be attributed to the fact that I sit at a desk all day and am relatively calm, not moving around, etc.) There's a couple seconds of a weird sensation afterwards that I can't really describe.

You don't notice the "miss" so much as the next beat - it's like your heart pumps twice as hard on the next beat to make up for it. And you can honest to God FEEL that beat. It's like getting hit in the chest with a baseball. Not HARD, mind you, but enough of a 'thump' you notice it. (the reason that I notice it might be attributed to the fact that I sit at a desk all day and am relatively calm, not moving around, etc.) There's a couple seconds of a weird sensation afterwards that I can't really describe.

I always described that as feeling like someone slipped a live fish into your chest cavity and it's flopping around in there. What's really disconcerting is that if you check your pulse while it's happening... you don't feel one. Fortunately, it only lasts for a few seconds usually. I still get it, but not nearly as often as when I was pounding away enough caffeine to keep a small army awake.

btw... had it checked out by a doctor a while back when it was doing it a lot. They did an EKG, stress test, cardiac ultrasound, even had me wear one of those portable EKG machines for a few days and they decided it was a "benign arrhythmia" and shouldn't cause a problem. Stress and anxiety tend to make it happen more.

I always described that as feeling like someone slipped a live fish into your chest cavity and it's flopping around in there. What's really disconcerting is that if you check your pulse while it's happening... you don't feel one. Fortunately, it only lasts for a few seconds usually. I still get it, but not nearly as often as when I was pounding away enough caffeine to keep a small army awake.

btw... had it checked out by a doctor a while back when it was doing it a lot. They did an EKG, stress test, cardiac ultrasound, even had me wear one of those portable EKG machines for a few days and they decided it was a "benign arrhythmia" and shouldn't cause a problem. Stress and anxiety tend to make it happen more.
Yeah, I can see where you'd get that description. Thankfully, the only times I *ever* get it is when I've been pounding caffiene - and seemingly only after an energy drink has been involved. I can sit at my desk, drink an entire pot of coffee and a couple Mt Dews, and not trigger it.

You don't notice the "miss" so much as the next beat - it's like your heart pumps twice as hard on the next beat to make up for it. And you can honest to God FEEL that beat. It's like getting hit in the chest with a baseball. Not HARD, mind you, but enough of a 'thump' you notice it. [...]

Sounds similar to PVCs (premature ventricular contractions). I had an ~18 month period in my late 20s where I was getting those every other "normal" beat, constantly. It took awhile to get used to that big "thump" that followed the "skip", especially when trying to get to sleep.

Docs did all the usual tests, I ran right through the treadmill stress test, wore a Holter Monitor for a week including a 90° day that I split a cord of wood, but they couldn't find anything definitive - which is pretty common, at least in males. They put me on Tenormin (beta blocker) which dampened the "thump" but didn't really change things otherwise.

Eventually it just stopped skipping. That was over 30 years ago...

Cheers!

b-boy said:
Hmm...A wife complaining that you haven't been drinking enough beer lately? I'm not buying it. :D

She is awaiting the ipa that is in the wings. Currently she is tired of the Vienna lager and maibock in the fridge.

Back