Can you Mash over the stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hi, it's been about 15 years since I brewed my last beer but I'm about to give it a go again. I used to only brew all grain and I find I have forgotten everything I once knew and Have been doing a lot of brush up.

When I learned how to do it I seem to remember being taught to do the mash right in my pot over the stuff. I just kind of stayed with the covered pot, watching the temperature closely and adjusting the gas as needed. But every single tutorial I have come across suggests that I should use a beverage cooler. I can see how this would be easier but I'm wondering how necessary it is...

Is there a problem with running the mash in a pot over the stuff and then sparking in a bucket?

I partial mash in a pot on the stove, I also sparge in pot on the stove as well. But I only go to 5-5.5 lbs of combined grains.

Will it fit in the oven? The problem with the stovetop is that the pot will be way hotter on the bottom than on the top. You can probably get away with it, but it’s not ideal.

Will it fit in the oven? The problem with the stovetop is that the pot will be way hotter on the bottom than on the top. You can probably get away with it, but it’s not ideal.

Huh?

I heat my strike water, turn off the burner, dough in, cover and leave it for 60 min losing no more than 1 degree of heat. Never a need to turn the burner back on to reheat the mash. Even if it were required, stirring the mash will distribute the heat just fine. The majority of homebrew mash heating systems are likely bottom Direct-fired, the exception being the homebrewers who have gone to advanced systems that use techniques such as HERMS.

I do all my mashing on the stovetop with Brew in a Bag system. Since the bag is the filter I don't need the intact grain husks. That lets me grind my grains pretty fine. It gives me great efficiency and the conversion occurs quickly so I only mash for 30 minutes. Without adding heat I lose about a degree since I have the full volume of water in the pot.

Back