Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled this today after 20 days in primary (1st week low 60's, last 2 at room temp). Sample tasted great! Good funk in there from the 3711, which was surprising. Harvested some Brett dregs recently to throw in the next batch with 3711, but dont think I'll need much.

I have 8 oz of Aramis hops. It's French and sounds good. Because I have so much of it I thought I would make this recipe with only Aramis.

What do y'all think?

Aramis is the product of a 2002 cross between the French variety Strisselspalt and the English variety WGV (Whitbread Golding Variety).
Aramis has very fine aromas, which it has inherited from the Strisselspalt line. It has sweet, spicy notes, with hints of citrus and herbs.
Its aroma and alpha acid content allow it to be used at all stages of hopping.

I have 8 oz of Aramis hops. It's French and sounds good. Because I have so much of it I thought I would make this recipe with only Aramis.

What do y'all think?

Aramis is the product of a 2002 cross between the French variety Strisselspalt and the English variety WGV (Whitbread Golding Variety).
Aramis has very fine aromas, which it has inherited from the Strisselspalt line. It has sweet, spicy notes, with hints of citrus and herbs.
Its aroma and alpha acid content allow it to be used at all stages of hopping.

sounds like a good excuse to brew another saison! Thanks for the info - never heard of it before! I was thinking of wanting to use the Belle Saison - this might be good with that experiment!

I brewed this last night as a partial boil. Mostly all grain, but threw in 1lb of DME with 10 minutes left in the boil to make up for some missing gravity. It's very dark in the fermenter, wasn't expecting that. I also used Danstar Belle Saison yeast as my LHBS didn't have 3711.

I brewed this last night as a partial boil. Mostly all grain, but threw in 1lb of DME with 10 minutes left in the boil to make up for some missing gravity. It's very dark in the fermenter, wasn't expecting that. I also used Danstar Belle Saison yeast as my LHBS didn't have 3711.

awesome - would enjoy hearing your experience with this yeast and how it compares to 3711

I promised myself I'd step away from the saison but every time I try, another idea comes from HBT. I'm wondering how the Belle might work with a "Copper" Saison with emphasis on dark fruits or combining it with 3724

EDIT: The more I think of it - the more I like the idea of toying with Belle and using some Special B with hint of Walnut chips or ome wood-infused flavors in a session Grisette (4% ABV) with a real smooth wood or nutty/hops/slight malt character

awesome - would enjoy hearing your experience with this yeast and how it compares to 3711

I promised myself I'd step away from the saison but every time I try, another idea comes from HBT. I'm wondering how the Belle might work with a "Copper" Saison with emphasis on dark fruits or combining it with 3724

EDIT: The more I think of it - the more I like the idea of toying with Belle and using some Special B with hint of Walnut chips or ome wood-infused flavors in a session Grisette (4% ABV) with a real smooth wood or nutty/hops/slight malt character

I'll be sure to post an update.

I'm at 3 weeks currently and still feel it needs probably 1 or 2 more

I've tasted green saison bottles at 1 week, 2 weeks, and 3-3.5 seems to be an odd in-between time, for me anyways. My pumpkin saison was 3 weeks just this Sunday - it tastes great, but, I think a nice round month and it will be that much better. EDIT: a little weird testing the pumpkin in April, but, will be refining it for the real Pumpkin Saison brew come July. I am loving my pipeline right now

I was so impatient my first couple of brews, but, now that I have my supply going, I'm finding it much easier to wait. I always make a half a gallon to a gallon extra just for tasting and making notes at different intervals. My next one, a BDS with 1762 and 3787 will be a huge test on my new found "patience" - although, I think some of the warmer/hot belgian characters will make it a little easier at first

Cheers great brew!!! Would highly recommend this to anyone. The pepper notes are fantastic. I'm thinking of brewing this again in 2 weeks only difference would be 10 gallon.

image-546234645.jpg

Bottled our PM version yesterday. The black pepper flavor/spice was pretty strong in the gravity sample. Hopefully that balances out with some time in bottles, but the sample was still pretty tasty.

How long does this usually take to ferment out? I need a good summer beer ready in about 2 weeks.

going to sub carapils for flaked oats.. what ya think brewing in an hour

You'll increase the body for sure, not sure of the mouth feel, but I love the silky mouth you get from flaked oats and have used it in every brew since.

I'm sure it will be just as tasty - are you worried about head retention/type of head?

How long does this usually take to ferment out? I need a good summer beer ready in about 2 weeks.

I want to say 3711 burned through mine in about 3 days, then completely finished off down to 1.000 in a week, then I just left it sit for another week just because I never used it before and didn't want to rush (2 weeks fermented) - then, I left it in bottle for 2 weeks before I tasted (4 weeks time from boil to bottle) - I thought it was still a little green. It seemed by 3.5 weeks or day 18, that it crossed over from green to "yum" - by the time it had gone a full month, I think the full flavor profile rounded into form.

I think if you ferment it for 2, then give it 4 weeks - that'll put you at the week leading up to Memorial Day Weekend / End of May - that still gives you late spring into early summer to enjoy it - not like you'd have to wait until Mid June or July.

Now, if you're force carbing, I can't speak to that because I bottle prime - I'll be interested to hear how you carb but really - 3711 is so forgiving, even if you drink it green at 2 weeks, you'll still see where the beer is heading :mug:

CZs said:
You'll increase the body for sure, not sure of the mouth feel, but I love the silky mouth you get from flaked oats and have used it in every brew since.

I'm sure it will be just as tasty - are you worried about head retention/type of head?

No I thought I had flaked oats but it was flaked rye. I was going to use the rye but I only had a 1/2 lb and I brewed a 10 gallon batch of I just omitted the flakes and added a bit of cara- pils.

No I thought I had flaked oats but it was flaked rye. I was going to use the rye but I only had a 1/2 lb and I brewed a 10 gallon batch of I just omitted the flakes and added a bit of cara- pils.

gotcha - sounds good

Picked up the ingredients for this today. I'm going to use the Belle Saison yeast, only Saison yeast the store had. Hops will be Zythos and Hallertauer, they didn't have Sorachi Ace, so I figured I'd just change both hops. Might use local honey as well. Here's to brewing my first Saison.

Picked up the ingredients for this today. I'm going to use the Belle Saison yeast, only Saison yeast the store had. Hops will be Zythos and Hallertauer, they didn't have Sorachi Ace, so I figured I'd just change both hops. Might use local honey as well. Here's to brewing my first Saison.

never used Zythos before - would love to hear how that contributes

I loved the dry crispness the honey adds, great way to add fermentables without changing the color too much - and, for me, I get bored with just using cane sugar

I'm so jealous you're making one, and with the Belle Saison yeast - I might have to do two brews this weekend just because I love the Saison so much - doing a Session Grisette, might have to do my Copper Saison sooner than planned!

Let me know what you think about the Belle Saison. Did you have to buy two packets? Never seeing it or using it before, I read about people having to buy two - could be that they just bought one of the sizes, although, I haven't seen them sold in varying amounts.

What's your grain bill look like? Excited!:mug:

The Danstar packet says .388 oz., I just bought one. They were waiting for a truck to come in at the brew store, so they were missing a few things. They are closed on Mondays and apparently had quite the weekend. I often find myself changing things on the fly, sometimes because something is out of stock and sometimes just because. This should be fun.:mug:

Grain Bill:
8.5lb 2-row
1.5lb american wheat
.5 caramunich
.5 flaked oats
1lb Honey

Hops:
1oz Zythos 10%AA
2oz Hallertauer 4.5%AA

1.5tsp. black pepper

I wanna brew this but I'm moving to Florida in 3 weeks. But a saison would be a nice first brew for down there.

I wanna brew this but I'm moving to Florida in 3 weeks. But a saison would be a nice first brew for down there.

Get that fermentation started now for a couple weeks, bottle, and have your first green tasting when you get down there, wait another couple weeks and you'll be there!

Don't deny yourself!

I'm going to try this one next week, when I get home. I am planning on having it ready for a friend's new house party 4th of July weekend. I'm thinking of a month in the primary, a couple of weeks natural carbonation in the keg, possibly using honey, and then a couple of weeks of cold conditioning. Does that seem like a decent schedule?

I am going to modify the grain bill a little just to keep it on the lower end of the ABV schedule, I'm shooting for a 1.053. I also will add just a little Honey Malt.

For bittering hops, I am going with Amarillo and Cascade as I have them in the freezer. For aroma, I decided to go with a blend of Fuggle, Goldings and Meridian (which I understand in FM966, which I love).

I will add some lemon peel to account for the lack of the Sorachi Ace, and also a little Orange Marmalade to accentuate the fruity/citrus.

I am excited to give it a whirl!

Let me know your thoughts.

Tried this recipe yesterday night, couldn't get The Wyeast strain, so I settled for Lallemand Belle Saison. Also used a pound of my grandpa's honey from his bees in place of the orange blossom honey which had an interesting minty aftertaste to it. Hit about 1.060 OG. Smelled great going into the primary!

Tried this recipe yesterday night, couldn't get The Wyeast strain, so I settled for Lallemand Belle Saison. Also used a pound of my grandpa's honey from his bees in place of the orange blossom honey which had an interesting minty aftertaste to it. Hit about 1.060 OG. Smelled great going into the primary!

i'll be interested to hear about your first tastings - especially with your G-pa's honey. A little mint taste? Sounds like that could play well with the effervescence of a Saison. Also - Belle Saison - interested to hear how this differs from 3711 if you've used that before

Alright, I'm doing this within the next week. All Citra hops and I might omit the honey. Depends on my OG. I'll add at the end of primary if I use it. Gonna make my starter of 3711 today.

Alright, I'm doing this within the next week. All Citra hops and I might omit the honey. Depends on my OG. I'll add at the end of primary if I use it. Gonna make my starter of 3711 today.

I use the honey primarily to give it a nice and dry finish.

Wonderful results with the higher carbonation levels.

You will be happy with the Belle Saison yeast. It is a beast like 3711. The last couple of Saisons that I used it in got down to 1.002. THe flavor is similar. I taste a little more spice (pepper) and just slightly less citrus. It also seems to floc out a little better.

Brewed this the last weekend. The LHS was out of caramunich so substituted 3.2 oz Special B Malt and 4.8 oz 60L crystal. Part way through the mash I realized my digital thermometer wasn't working correctly so will see how it turns out. The OG was 1.053.

The airlock started bubbling an hour after sealing. Had a little blow off by the morning but cleaned it up and re sanitized the airlock. Still chugging away. It does smell good.

Robert

Brewed this the last weekend. The LHS was out of caramunich so substituted 3.2 oz Special B Malt and 4.8 oz 60L crystal. Part way through the mash I realized my digital thermometer wasn't working correctly so will see how it turns out. The OG was 1.053.

The airlock started bubbling an hour after sealing. Had a little blow off by the morning but cleaned it up and re sanitized the airlock. Still chugging away. It does smell good.

Robert
Dohhhh!

It wasn't one of those braided stainless probe style ones was it?

CZs said:
i'll be interested to hear about your first tastings - especially with your G-pa's honey. A little mint taste? Sounds like that could play well with the effervescence of a Saison. Also - Belle Saison - interested to hear how this differs from 3711 if you've used that before

Day three into fermentation of the Cottage Saison using the Belle yeast and man have the few days been exciting. After pitching, the yeast really went to town (especially after strapping the brew belt on and wrapping an old oversized Carrhart coat around the carboy!) and has since slowed down at the blowoff end. I have since brewed up another winger batch after brewing this batch, using the same yeast, same exciting fermentation. I drew a sample from the Cottage this afternoon and it tested out at 1.012! Tasted wild and spicy! Just what I was looking for...

Day three into fermentation of the Cottage Saison using the Belle yeast and man have the few days been exciting. After pitching, the yeast really went to town (especially after strapping the brew belt on and wrapping an old oversized Carrhart coat around the carboy!) and has since slowed down at the blowoff end. I have since brewed up another winger batch after brewing this batch, using the same yeast, same exciting fermentation. I drew a sample from the Cottage this afternoon and it tested out at 1.012! Tasted wild and spicy! Just what I was looking for...

thanks for the update - sounds like I need to stock up on some of this stuff - do you have an exact, or give or take a few degrees, ferm temp reading? Are you getting a good balance of the wild and spicy or would you say the spicy is dominant? Similar to 3711? This just sounds so awesome. I'll be doing a Grisette with 3711 but another Saison I have planned I'll just have to finally do this.

I hesitate to post, as what I brewed yesterday is only really an echo of the original, using hops I had on hand. Used Centennial and Chinook for FWH and Saaz for aroma and bittering. Added pepper plus zest of an orange and a star of anise because I have them sitting around in my freezer. Pitched wlp 550 and am fermenting at 78 for three weeks or so. So thanks for the grain bill, and I'll post when it's done!

Please help. I am getting ready to brew this one and my LHBS did not have Sorachi Ace. He suggested 1 oz of Saphir instead at the same schedule. Thoughts?

Isn't that a citrus/tangerine flavored noble hop? I would think it would be fine, just maybe add some lemon zest near the end of the boil maybe for a little added lemon flavor

Lemme know how it turns out, you using the 3711 yeast?

This beer looks awesome. But my local HBS store doesn't carry 3711 though and shipping online is pricy... would anyone be willing to send me a sample of 3711? I would give you some homebrew--I have an awesome barley wine, belgian dark strong and some other brew. I would also send some whitlabs strains, I have 530, 007, and white labs Hefe yeast. Thanks yall

Latest posts

Back