Infected Alpine Spring Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicklesr

Reaction score
Had an infection in a 10 gallon batch of Alpine Spring, recipe is below.

23lbs US-2row
1lb Honey Malt
2lb Munich
0.5lb Acid Malt

2oz Tettnang at 60 min
1oz Tettnang at 30min
1oz Tettnang at 15min
1oz Tettnang at 0 min

OG = 1.062
IBU = 18
7.3 SRM

It looked really nice ferementing, then life got in the way. It sat in primary for about a month, and 2 weeks after it hit 1.012. I'm guessing some bugs got in when I uncapped it to measure gravity, or from the hydro (but doubtful since I sani the crap outta that). Anyway, I'll have a pitcure coming later when I get back home.

My questions are...

What the heck should I do with it? Does anyone have any souring experience with a beer like this? There isn't too much sugar left in it for the bugs to work on...

Could I count on the bugs to eat the rest of the sugar if I bottled it now, producing carbination? I know it wouldn't be a true sour, probaly just a slightly funky beer.

Thanks in advance, I can't stand seeing beer go into the lawn...

Here's the peilicle. Any thoughts? Please? :)

pellicle.jpg

I have heard... but never had to do it... that if you can get a taste of the beer and it is good, that you can draw off most of the beer leaving the some behind.

I would think if it is slightly sour (or maybe not at all) you may be able to salvage it,,, chill it soe the infection slows. (I keg so this would not be a problem)

If the sour taste is "nice" then maybe experiment and let some go for a few months.

Hope you have not lost your beer...

DPB

Here's the peilicle. Any thoughts? Please? :)

I have had similar, yet less severe. If the taste is acceptable, I would package, carbonate, chill and consume asap.

If the bugs have progressed too far, you can either toss it or ride it out to produce a sour.

My hunch is that it can be salvaged for consumption in the near term.

Then ef it. I'm going for it.

Bottle as usual? ~4oz of corn sugar per 5 gallons depending on temprature. Should I lower this amount since the buggies might fully attentaute the sugars producing too much CO2?

I'll throw it in bottles today if it tastes reasonable...

Then ef it. I'm going for it.

Bottle as usual? ~4oz of corn sugar per 5 gallons depending on temprature. Should I lower this amount since the buggies might fully attentaute the sugars producing too much CO2?
yeah, i'd prime lower. instead of using a preset amount, use a priming calculator: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

i'd prime on the low side, like 2.0 vols. open a bottle a week to ensure you're not making bombs. if they appear to be getting over-carb'ed (i.e. more than what can be explained by the priming sugar), put the bottles in the fridge to make the bugs go dormant and stop the carbonation process. do not remove from fridge until ready to serve.

or run out and buy or borrow a couple kegs... no Ka-Boom issues... and you will be able to taste along the way and see if you need to invite some friends over and get it all consumed...

I have had beers I thought might be going "South" and just made a point of taking them to a party or drinking them first while they were still good.

DPB

Back