Noobs Pointless Post #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifteenTen

Reaction score
I had to take a forced vacation day. Just to annoy the Man I scheduled it for a Friday. Sad I know, having a Friday off and all. I mean, I’m a hard working American, what am I supposed to do with a day off? Then I saw it. One of my YRPs was approaching it expiration date? You know, my Yeast Ready to Pitch. Think MRE here. Don’t laugh, you too have a pack of US-05 in your refrigerator just in case your love and affection are not enough to generate 236 billion individual life forms out of a vial or smack pack. Or worse, they quit on you midway through. Offspring can be so ungrateful…that’s why you have your YRPs.
Anyway, I had the day and the aging yeast so I decided to make the best of it. I got the barley, hops and propane. My wife, beer hating, cheap wine drinking, Friday hater that she is would not let me sleep in. I had to get up, fix breakfast and take my daughter to school. That’s not so bad in and of itself. I enjoy the moments when I can legally strap my five year old into a chair. And joy of all joys, she now straps herself in willing. Once we’re strapped in I can have just a few moments where it is just me and her.
On this particular Friday as I’m driving her to school she asks me what I was doing on my day off. I told her I was going to brew. I could see her face scrunch up in the mirror and she said “But what about your starter?” Now I’m sure I’ll feel all kinds of pride and mixed emotions when she graduates high school, gets her undergraduate and graduate degrees followed by a stunning career and marriage (though I hate him already) and her first born child (now I really, really hate him), but when my five year old said “But what about your starter?” I damn near melted through the driver’s seat into the pavement passing beneath my car.
One day I’m going to brew the best beer that girl has ever tasted. Meanwhile, I’m going to hone my brewing skills and develop some passive aggressive angry father-in-law mannerisms. That SoB better not be a home brewer, I might actually crack under that kind of pressure. I mean, I’ve never had a son…

My those were the days.........My daughter has always helped me brew and now that she's older (30) she still helps me brew and drink it too! But not so much these latest days (she and her hubby are expecting) she still helps me every brew day, kegging day, filtering day, etc. You guys just starting out with kids, you have some great times ahead of you brewing with your kids, both young and old! Enjoy it gang - doesn't get any better.

Father of two girls here, a 4 year old and a 6 month old. the 4 year old loves helping daddy on brew/bottling day! this was a great read, thanks for sharing.

FYI have you thought about batching up a cheaper wine kit for the wife like an amped up island mist kit to appease her and get her in the process as well??

Father of two girls here, a 4 year old and a 6 month old. the 4 year old loves helping daddy on brew/bottling day! this was a great read, thanks for sharing.

<snip>

You my friend are a great american! We need more parents to take the time and teach our kids (our future) how to do something constructive whether it's vegetable gardening and canning the extra veggies, brewing/bottling (trust me, they'll thank you for the knowledge later), raising chickens or rabbits - you know; how to be self reliant and not rely on anyone else, especially the govt.
These were traditions handed down from gen to gen, and kids nowadays just have a hand out, what's in it for me attitude. I'm blessed my kids were never a problem.

i wish i would have paid more attention when my parents were big in the whole canning vegies phase. otherwise most of what i've learned has come from the school of hard knocks, (and screw-ups) haha

Back