Uh oh.. 3 weeks in primary and ready to bottle when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewerB

Reaction score
Found this in the airlock 😑

image-2402233940.jpg

Looks like a Lil moldy
I do good sanatation so it's probley beer
Trying to open up a fermenting bucket today

What do you put in your airlock?

I wouldn't worry about it until you open it up and see/taste it.

Interesting. Check the beer, but I'm guessing it's fine. Looks like the mold is only on the side exposed to the air.

Maybe try vodka in the airlock if this continues to be an issue.

I was thinking initially that they might be those pesky lil flies we get around here. I use cheap vodka in my airlocks as well.

How long ago did you make the StarSan solution that you have in the air lock? I believe that StarSan, after being mixed with water, will be ineffective the longer it sits es[especially if mixed with tap water. If mixed with distilled water it will last months. The starsan mixture you have in your air lock, was it the same stuff you used to sanitize your equipment on brewing day?

Time will not weaken the acidity of starsan. As long as the PH tests out 3 or lower,it's good. Tap water or no. I save it for a couple months some times. Still good & zero infections.

Bottled tonight and looked fine and smelled great with a FG of .011

image-1189275370.jpg

image-3091688699.jpg

I think wen I shook the ferm before pitching yeast to give it some air I think a little beer just got in there in air exposure just made it mold
It's interesting it wasn't floating on top of the water?
I couldn't get the little black dots out of there ethier?
Ran it with star san but is it fine to still on my new fresh batch with the mold on there?

Congrats on a successful beer. It was on the bubble out side, you are good.

Give it a soak in hot water, you can usually get that stuff to release with enough hot water and maybe some oxy. Otherwise you 'should' be ok, but to be safe I would just replace the airlock. The things are cheap enough.

Think ur good, but i'd use vodka next time to see if it still happens. I'd toss the airlock too just to be safe. Plastic not glass, might have some real fine scratches or something in there. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Usually soaking in PBW will float that stuff off ime. Then hot water rinse & starsan before using/storing. I also bought a 3 piece set of aquarium lift tube brushes for cleaning airlocks,spigots,tubing & the like. They can make the job easier & quicker.

Latest posts

Back