Twisted my knee...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerinBR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
on the basement steps this morning ... swelled up like a softball, funny to look at. So I wrapped it and grabbed my cane. Went out side built a beechwood fire. Sitting on the picnic table fire roasting Munton's pale malt and oatmeal for a porter I will brew tomorrow. Yard work not possible may as well have some fun. Drank a bottle of my newest dark rye ale (damn is that good.. Amarillo hops YUM)... enjoyed an American Stout, now I am totally impressed by a pint of my Columbus IPA ... what kick in the... back side that is. Roasting bacon wrapped potatoes going grilled some marinated pork chops... damn I like it when spring comes to Michigan and my knee swells up!!!!

EDIT: if you tease me about my age I will beat you with my cane and yes I own one have for a few years now... at least my pckr still works!

That sucks, I rolled my ankle about a year ago. It was just bad enough to not be able to go to work, but good enough to stay home and finish some projects. Got paid to stay home!, too bad I wasnt brewing back then. i would have loved it!

Actually, they don't make barrels out of the beechwood. They just throw chunks of it in the fermenter. It sits in the bottom and provides more surface area for the yeast to settle on.

/Mr Wizard mode OFF

ChshreCat said:
Actually, they don't make barrels out of the beechwood. They just throw chunks of it in the fermenter. It sits in the bottom and provides more surface area for the yeast to settle on.

/Mr Wizard mode OFF

Yep, you'll get the same amount of beechwood character whether you put some in the fermenter or tape a piece on the outside of it. :p

Sucks about the ankle BrewerinBR. looks like you're trying to make the best of it.

Hope your knee is better soon, but glad that you got to enjoy the day anyway! It was a gorgeous day here, and I brewed outside for much of it.

Yep, you'll get the same amount of beechwood character whether you put some in the fermenter or tape a piece on the outside of it. :p

Yeah, but what better way to get BMC drinkers to try homebrew! "Here, try this. It's beechwood aged so you should like it."

Hey man, dinners taking longer than thought, can I get one of those potatos? I like your anti inflammatory prescription!

Sorry the potatoes were eaten... yummy good...all setup to start the brew in the am... lite the burner and heat the strike water 1st thing

time for bed ... g'night

Lol, all good. The pizza came out in time for a late supper. Got the grill Rollin with Taters, country style ribs, brats. Hope ur knee holds up thru the brew day! I'm self employed with no insurance and a marathoner so I am fearful of injuries! RICE B rest, ice, compression, elevate, BEER!

That sucks! I only caught a cold on Saturday. I'm already feeling somewhat better. But yesterday I did end up goofing off a fair amount. Only problem is I didn't hardly drink any beer for fear of inflaming already swollen nasal passages. :(

Hope that brewday goes good! I'm not brewing until I get a couple of projects done. That way I have incentive to get them completed! I only have 1/2 keg of cream ale, 1/2 keg of American Amber, and a keg of IPA. That should get me through finishing up the drywall and flooring in the back bathroom and pouring a slab of concrete in front of the garage. I am planning a small concrete pouring BBQ in a couple of weeks. Your invited!

I slipped on some wort that was on my kitchen floor and railed my (already injured) knee into a doorframe. It swelled up to the size of a softball as well and I cant really walk on it.

This all happened last night while I was brewing. Don't worry, the beer came out and is fermenting away nicely.

More on this story here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/my-brew-day-hell-408030/

Monday the doc stuck a rather long needle into my knee and drained 52 cc of clear fluid so no real serious damage just swelling, then some cortisone. Then Friday I got my 6 month hyaluronan shots for my arthritis... so now I am actually able to walk with out a cane for a a while.

I did brew a robust porter last week and a pale ale this week so I still have 5 full fermenters and more bottled beer than I can drink ... but damn I cant stop. I have to brew, I must brew....

Back