Honey? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel23

Reaction score
I have a light ale that is just finishing up the primary stage. I am thinking about adding a honey flavor to the brew when I rack it. I did some reading on it and the book a still a little over my beginner's brain. What is the ratio of honey needed add a small flavor to my five gallon batch? Trust me when I say I am not interested in an extremely sweet flavor. Just a hint.

Honey is about 95% fermentable, and adding after you rack will kick in fermentation again,so unless you kill your yeast with campden tabs or pasteurization, it won't be too sweet. You'll get a mild hint of honey flavor by adding 1 lb. You'll also up your ABV, and extend the fermentation by a week or so. I probably would add it to your primary now, and wait to rack for another week or maybe two.
As a hint,a better way to add honey flavor is to use honey malt in your mash/steep.

Sounds great...thanks for the information. I always get great feedback from the experienced brewers on this forum. Definitely helpful for some one just starting.

I recently pulled 1 gallon of a 5 gallon batch of cream ale after primary and added ~1lb of honey to secondary. It kicked off fermentation again and ran strong for another 10 days or so before slowing. I just bottled it a week ago so I can't say whether the honey flavor will be there or not but I'm guessing it will be very mild if any at all because of the fermentation in secondary. I've heard you can also bottle using honey to carbonate the bottles (if you don't intend on kegging). There's a nice calculator on the Northern Brewer website that will tell you approximately how much honey you will need to reach the desired carbonation level. I've heard this will give more flavor than using in secondary because it doesn't all ferment out like it will in secondary.

Latest posts

Back