New Zealand Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
Greetings!

I had a thought last night for a New Zealand style wheat ale. Let me know what ya'll think.

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.24
IBU: 38
SRM: 7.0
Style: 6D American Wheat Or Rye Beer

Malts:
6lbs UK 2-row Pilsner
5lbs Rahr White Wheat
1lbs Weyermann Caramunich 1

Hops:
1oz Moeteka 7% 60min
1oz Nelson Sauvin 10min

Yeast:
WLP320 American Wheat Ale

Should be a somewhat hoppy, crisp, and fruity wheat for summer!

Cheers,
Jason

I just brewed an American wheat that has a similar grain bill. Bittered with Nobel hops and finished with Nelson and amarillo. Two oz over the last 7 minutes. 12 gallon batch. Should be tasty.

Mmmmm, that sounds delicious.

Maybe I should do a hop stand with another ounce of Nelson (and maybe some more of the Moeteka) to get that killer hop flavor/aroma?

Kinda sorta. I do a backwards BIAB where I start adding grain at 120 then heat slowly to the mid 150's. I've found it easier to hit my targets that way.

I used a single infusion with rice hulls. Also used a portion of Vienna as the base malt. Only 18 ibus here. This one is for a party.

I've noticed in low doses the New Zealand hops impart a earthy flavor.

I've noticed in low doses the New Zealand hops impart a earthy flavor.

Really?? being from there and living there, i kinda get a fruit sald style brew, the motueka maybe give a small spiciness, as its a saaz variety, along with riwaka.

sauvin i find gives a white grape, sauvignon blanc unique flavour.
then hteres lots of different varieties from there, ie. pacific which is a hallertau variety, and give an orange marmalade flavour

It's not a bad flavor just something I've never tasted. Maybe it's that. I smoke so I can't say I taste that well.

reinstone said:
It's not a bad flavor just something I've never tasted. Maybe it's that. I smoke so I can't say I taste that well.

Bloody smokers haha. Just kidding.

Nz hops are unique in the fact they taste very different to us ones. Even NZ Cascade is different. Try the can you brew it recipe for epic pale ale it uses us cascade. I made it with nz very different to commercial product. Gonna give it a go with Pacifica next time. See if I can trace that marmalade taste

Love NZ hops. Mosaic is my new favorite hop for the next week at least. Love hopunion's description: "An artisanal blend of enticing aromas." Haha

Its like fruity simcoe to me.

Well, I decided to save this one for later. I figure I should wait until the Southern Hemisphere is in season rather than use older hops.

However, I'm still gonna be making a hoppy wheat ale for summer...

"Hoppy Summer Wheat"

OG: 1.061 (14.5 Bx / deg P)
FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.1%
IBU: 43
SRM: 5.0

Malts:
7.5lbs Rahr 2-row
5.5lbs Weyermann Light Wheat
.5lbs Crystal 20

Hops:
Centennial 8.7% 1oz FWH 17 IBU
Amarillo 10.6% 1oz 10min 12 IBU
Amarillo 10.6% 2oz 5min 14 IBU

Additions:
Whirlfloc 1ea 15min
Gelatin 1 packet in keg (not looking for hazy here)

Yeast:
Washed/harvested WLP090 San Diego Super

Mash profile: (BIAB for me)

Protein Rest (for head retention)
20 minutes at 122 degrees

Medium Body Mash:
60 minutes at 154 degrees

Mashout
Raise to 170 and hold for 10 minutes

Sparge
Rinse grains with two quarts of wort and approximately two gallons of 175 degree water to achieve preboil volume

Looking forward to brewing this one up sometime this week.

Back