Did I mess up my first yeast starter? :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Ok....I used yeastcalc.com to figure out my first starter, I am new to liquid yeast. My LHBS gave me yeast that is 3 months old (Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity).

The calculator suggested a 2 step starter. I created 1L wort at 1.040 gravity, cooled, pitched the yeast. After 12 hours I saw *some* signs of fermentation. Then 24 hours later I made my second wort (1L, 1.040 OG), and pitched that to the existing starter.

Now here's my problem. After some more research I read that I should have cold crashed over night, decant, then add the second step on the yeast cake. The way I did it will NOT create more yeast according to my research. Then i realized that I should have started with 2L in the beginning rather than doing a 2 step process. I don't understand how adding more fermentable sugars to the existing wort will not create more yeast.

My dilemma.....I want to brew tomorrow afternoon and I'm afraid that I will not have enough yeast. When I added the "step up" I am now unsure what my gravity is now in the starter and I'm afraid my yeast may be stressed. Do I need to postpone my brew day to ensure I have enough pitch-able yeast? This is a Belgian Blonde with an OG of approximately 1.063-1.068. Should I let this 2L starter ferment, cold crash, decant, and then do another step up?

These are all reminders why I like dry yeast. But the dry yeast option for this brew will not provide true Belgian characteristics, which is why I chose liquid. Then to top it off my LHBS didn't have this yeast strain newer than 15 JAN :mad:

I guess I'll just ferment what I have, cold crash tonight, decant in the morning and pitch what I have. The beers estimated OG isn't really that high and maybe I'll be ok if I pitch a little under the recommended yeast.

I don't understand how adding more fermentable sugars to the existing wort will not create more yeast.

As I understand it, the reason this is true is because the yeast reproduce during the "lag" phase. So you started them with 1L of wort, they woke up, took a look around and saw that they had 1L of wort to work on, so they grew to an appropriate population, then got to work chomping on the sugars.

Then you came along mid-meal and gave them another 1L of wort. They won't hit "pause" and go back to the lag phase to build up their population to match their new environment - they're already busy eating. So it'll just take them longer to eat the additional sugars you've provided.

In order to have them grow, you would've had to have waited for them to finish fermenting, store some reserves, and go to sleep. Then you could have decanted the spent wort, added the new wort, and had them start the cycle all over again (including the lag phase, where they would multiply).

Also, since you just added more on top, you diluted your S.G. since the original liter would have fermented down to 1.010 or so, and adding 1 more liter of 1.040 would leave you with 2L of 1.025 wort, for a bunch of yeast already mid-meal.

As I understand it, the reason this is true is because the yeast reproduce during the "lag" phase. So you started them with 1L of wort, they woke up, took a look around and saw that they had 1L of wort to work on, so they grew to an appropriate population, then got to work chomping on the sugars.

Then you came along mid-meal and gave them another 1L of wort. They won't hit "pause" and go back to the lag phase to build up their population to match their new environment - they're already busy eating. So it'll just take them longer to eat the additional sugars you've provided.

In order to have them grow, you would've had to have waited for them to finish fermenting, store some reserves, and go to sleep. Then you could have decanted the spent wort, added the new wort, and had them start the cycle all over again (including the lag phase, where they would multiply).

Also, since you just added more on top, you diluted your S.G. since the original liter would have fermented down to 1.010 or so, and adding 1 more liter of 1.040 would leave you with 2L of 1.025 wort, for a bunch of yeast already mid-meal.

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now. I guess a attempted starter is better than no starter :eek: Maybe the yeast will have a better chance of surviving in my beer and they will multiply more once pitched as long as I cold crash and decant before pitching. I have to pay better attention to details when I attempt something new.

I missed the cold crash before stepping also. I only had a 1 ltr flask and got a 2ltr after the first starter.

I missed the cold crash before stepping also. I only had a 1 ltr flask and got a 2ltr after the first starter.

I use a 2L growler that I bought filled with beer just to use for starters. I want to use liquid yeast for all my brews for now on. I have to master how to make starters so I can have better tasting beer. I would like a flask with stir plate but I am too cheap right now and I'm not handy enough for a DIY stir plate. Maybe I am because I built my kegerator but for some reason I am reluctant on attempting a stir plate. Maybe some day though:eek:

In my experience you will be fine. 3787 is a forgiving yeast in your situation for a couple reasons... it is a fairly prolific strain in that it reproduces very rapidly and it also flocculates fairly rapidly... you grew what what you could with the time and equipment available, now you'll crash it out, decant and pitch and have a beautiful beer in a few weeks! Don't forget that this whole thing started in a ditch a few thousand years ago... we've come a long ways:mug:

Stirstarters.com has a great price on their stirplates and a great dyi section.

Just bought one...I had a PayPal $10 credit so I got it for $35 :ban: I wonder if my growler will work on this stir plate.

In my experience you will be fine. 3787 is a forgiving yeast in your situation for a couple reasons... it is a fairly prolific strain in that it reproduces very rapidly and it also flocculates fairly rapidly... you grew what what you could with the time and equipment available, now you'll crash it out, decant and pitch and have a beautiful beer in a few weeks! Don't forget that this whole thing started in a ditch a few thousand years ago... we've come a long ways:mug:

Thanks man! I can't wait to brew my first belgian. Off topic a bit....my LHBS said that most belgians don't include specialty grains. The recipe I got only has LME, DME, hops, and corn sugar. Does this sound right to you? I was shocked not to see any grains.

Just bought one...I had a PayPal $10 credit so I got it for $35 :ban: I wonder if my growler will work on this stir plate.

If your growler has a flat bottom it will be fine. If you ever need extra stirbars always get the same size it came with. You might need a spare or 2 .... since you are sure to pitch it with your yeast.

I didn't think about the possibility of pitching the stir bar. Should be easy enough to get with another magnet on the outside of the glass.

I had my magnet in my hand, got distracted then pitched my yeast stir bar stirbar and all. Yes I still had the magnet.........in my other hand. The bad thing was I didn't even have a drink.

I had my magnet in my hand, got distracted then pitched my yeast stir bar stirbar and all. Yes I still had the magnet.........in my other hand. The bad thing was I didn't even have a drink.

My stir plate apparently comes with a "keeper" magnet. That's what it says on the website.

Back