WLP001 Starter - Egg Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcdawg

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has experienced an egg smell with a WLP001 starter?

Most of the beers I brew use WLP001, and I've been washing yeast with success for a few months. I do a starter a few days before brew day, refrigerate and decant. In 6 or so starters like this I have never noticed a smell. On Sunday, when I went to decant the starter had an egg smell (not super strong, but present). I am fairly confident in my sanitation procedures, but didn't want to risk ruining a batch if the starter was infected. So, I threw it away and used a packet of dry yeast instead. (Note to self: always keep dry yeast on hand, just in case).

Reading through these forums, sounds like it may be normal to have an egg smell - depending on the yeast. Smelly lagers appear to be common. Curious about other's experience with WLP001 and if I should have used the yeast instead of throwing it away?

I was curious if anyone has experienced an egg smell with a WLP001 starter?

Most of the beers I brew use WLP001, and I've been washing yeast with success for a few months. I do a starter a few days before brew day, refrigerate and decant. In 6 or so starters like this I have never noticed a smell. On Sunday, when I went to decant the starter had an egg smell (not super strong, but present). I am fairly confident in my sanitation procedures, but didn't want to risk ruining a batch if the starter was infected. So, I threw it away and used a packet of dry yeast instead. (Note to self: always keep dry yeast on hand, just in case).

Reading through these forums, sounds like it may be normal to have an egg smell - depending on the yeast. Smelly lagers appear to be common. Curious about other's experience with WLP001 and if I should have used the yeast instead of throwing it away?

I have had that happen with Wyeast Irish Ale, London ESB, Urquell. All those beers turned out great. It sure makes you think that you are doing something wrong, but I wouldn't stress about it. Just decant heavily and you should be fine.

WLP051, WLP550 and WLP320 all smelled like rotten eggs but made great beer. Never tried 001 before but I'm sure it's closely related to 051(by far the stinkiest). You should have used it!

Starters often look/smell not so good but can still be 100% fine. I've never noticed sulfur from Cali ale specifically, but it's not uncommon w/ many other strains.

Either way, not a bad move to go for the dry yeast when in doubt. Only cost you a couple of bucks for the peace of mind.

I think you made the right choice. I use 001 all the time and have never had a sulfer/egg smell. Some English strains and lagers, yes, but to my knowledge and experience with it 001 shouldn't smell like that at all.

Yeah, I've done at least a dozen WLP001 starters and never noticed a smell before.

I have a starter of WLP099 going now and it smells like eggs. It looks fine and I plan to pitch it tomorrow.

Back