Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The project manager on a job site I'm working on heard I brewed beer. He proceeded to tell me how when he was tree planting, the natives showed him how to mix sugar and water in a 5 gallon bucket, add bread yeast, and put it in the sun for a week. Then you can scoop it right out of the bucket. In his words, "I had a couple shots and was messed right up! It had more alcohol than moonshine does!" I laughed, and didn't tell him I was laughing at him.

Sounds like they might have dropped a couple mushrooms in there when he wasn't looking....

Not everybody starts at BMC. I hadn't had a BMC in my life (maybe some sips when I was ~5...) when I started drinking good beer. I started with mixed drinks and liquor...

My beer "tasting" started with Guinness, Bass, and Newcastle. British beers are probably still among my favorites.

in the UK, it's not BMC. theirs is BNG: Bass, Newcastle, and Guinness. hahahhaa!!!

Size doesn't matter (no "well actually" please). I live in a town of 70,000 and we have the greatest beer store, Johns Grocery! The owner loves beer, he has about 700 different kinds including 125 "belgium's". Great turn over and always bringing in new stuff...if you miss a day you miss alot!

I loved John's when I lived in Iowa City years ago. The only problem is that it's in the midwest, so his american craft selection is limited

Not everybody starts at BMC. I hadn't had a BMC in my life (maybe some sips when I was ~5...) when I started drinking good beer. I started with mixed drinks and liquor...

My beer "tasting" started with Guinness, Bass, and Newcastle. British beers are probably still among my favorites.

NO EVERYONE starts there. No man, just trying to make a point is all. Didn't literally mean EVERYONE in the whole world started there. I also started with hard liquor. But Karkov and Windsor, then found out better and better stuff. Looking back I hated being young and poor and not knowing what was actually in the store.

Just saw this on yahoo about the calories in beer.

"Guinness is a meal in Ireland and is good for you. So just go live on Guinness and you wont have any weight issues."

Spinrathen said:
I loved John's when I lived in Iowa City years ago. The only problem is that it's in the midwest, so his american craft selection is limited

Johns has expanded their beer room and is getting a larger selection on domestics. The problem is a lot of west/east coast brewers assume that Iowa doesn't have a beer culture...that's all Iowa has (other than pigs/corn/beans).

Johns has expanded their beer room and is getting a larger selection on domestics. The problem is a lot of west/east coast brewers assume that Iowa doesn't have a beer culture...that's all Iowa has (other than pigs/corn/beans).

Nice. I'll be in ic to visit friends in a couple weeks. Can't wait to see the expansion.

To put it nicely, my hometown is a racially diverse and very middle class place. A few years back, latinos became the ethnic majority in the city. Nothing wrong with that, but the blue collar folks aren't drinking craft brew (can't blame them either). There is also a fairly large African-American population in the city. It just isn't a craft brew town, though we did have a great brew pub called PH Woods that made fantastic beer but it closed a couple of years ago. Surprisingly, it didn't close because of lack of interest. It was owned by Don Callendar (Marie Callendar's fame)
That said, when I still lived there, I could go to the next city over (I lived in Moreno Valley for the SoCal folks) and get some amazing craft brews. My buddy had an apartment close to UC Riverside for years and this little hole in the wall liquor store had/has one of the better craft brew selections I've ever seen. Now I just visit BevMo around the corner from me (one complaint about BevMo, they carry the same thing all the damn time.. it's hard to get a special release!)

We finally got a BevMo up here in Tacoma WA, and it's about half the size of the ones in SoCal. But I discovered that, this one at least, does get the special releases, but you have to ask the manager for them since they're kept in the back.

A popular place in Federal Way WA that specializes in selling a huge variety of beer by the bottle and growler, told a customer on their Facebook page that they don't have the beer she wanted for the growler because that's a nitro beer and their system is only CO2. Therefore she would end up with a flat beer.

Foolishly I chimed in stating that nitro is used to NOT carbonate the beer further and that CO2 could actually over-carbonate the beer.

They responded informing me I was wrong and that beer is carbonated two ways, in the bottle or by force carbing. Then posted a link to an AHA article on carbonating beer.

Between this exchange and their practically scoffing at me when I asked if they had any of a special release left, I've been shopping there a lot less.

Anyhow, a tiny little store at the edge of the city has a decent selection. I picked up a Double Bastard and a couple other brews one day and the lady who rang me up was astonished that I would pay $7 for a bottle of beer.

I wanted to tell her that while it was expensive, it is tasty and the price isn't really that much different than buying a sixer of BMC.

I love buying bottles of $15 or higher beer just to see the reaction. The cashier was asking all kinds of questions when I picked up a few bombers of La Folie last week...

Just read everything, tangents included. Every few years I would travel to Sioux City, IA for at least a week in the Summer to stay with relatives (both sides of the family). Last time I went was the first time I was 21 and we went out West to Yankton for a overnight fishing trip. That night my dad and his brother tried to convince me their BMC was better than the others, both tasted like watered down beer with no hops.

Definitely prefer where I live at the moment with all my options (Bevmo, Total Wine & More, breweries/wineries galore).

Another good story I remember. On New Years two years ago my gf's bestfriend's bf, whom many dislike for similar sayings, tried to convince us that he tried some moonshine that was 210 proof or more after being infused in some berries. My gf and I chuckle about it every so often along with other non-beer related things he says.

I love buying bottles of $15 or higher beer just to see the reaction. The cashier was asking all kinds of questions when I picked up a few bombers of La Folie last week...

I've had this a number of times... the better places don't flinch, but even some big stores get people at the checkout who don't understand. It must be pretty uncommon to actually sell that $15-20 bottle sitting there.

I've had this a number of times... the better places don't flinch, but even some big stores get people at the checkout who don't understand. It must be pretty uncommon to actually sell that $15-20 bottle sitting there.

In the middle of North Dakota, probably not everyday. Although there are a few amount of people that like craft beer, the local stores don't promote new arrivals. So the special bottles just sit in a dark corner waiting for someone to notice them...

Everybody starts at BMC. Everybody can be lead away from BMC. If you think you can't show BMC drinkers different beer they will enjoy you are not even trying. There are many, many beers out there. American lagers are made by a good handful of craft breweries. Can't people at least show BMC drinkers those? I agree with the drinking to get drunk. On my second Undercover (9.7&) and a 750 ml of biere de garde (7%) and feeling quite nice. I would have to have 6-8 of a BMC product to feel half as nice haha. How is that a better deal? Hell if I drank my piss tonight I would get a better buzz than having a couple Buds.

Speak for yourself. Only time I have ever drank bud light is at concerts. I started on sierra Nevada pale ale.

I started on beers that aren't around anymore. Some famous from right here in Ohio. they had that "real beer" flavor I'd like to duplicate some day. Not hoppy,not malty,not heavy. Well balanced carefully crafted richer flavor than today is about the best I can describe it. I'd know it if I tasted it. I've done a couple of hybrid lagers to play with the basic flavors...but only hints of that illusive taste. Got more work to do...

laste night on an on line game my wife & I play, me & someone else were talking about Schell's. I mentioned that I had some of their barley wine aging in the basement. someone else popped in & said, "Why would you age it? It won't gain any flavor. Beer is like whiskey, once it's bottled it never changes." my reply, "Uh, yeah it does. High gravity beers can can change a lot. Aging gives all the different flavors time to meld together." then come to find out all this person's expert info came from a tour of Jack Daniels or some crap. this was not verbatim as I may have been partaking in "the odd drink or two".

Speak for yourself. Only time I have ever drank bud light is at concerts. I started on sierra Nevada pale ale.

I started on Unibroue's Trois Pistoles... I basically looked up highly rated beers from Canada on the Internet before buying my first beer (I'm 27 in a few weeks). It's a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, so I agree his use of the word "everybody" is incorrect, since it doesn't get much more un-BMC than that, but I think he already explained that he didn't mean LITERALLY everybody. He probably could have picked a better phrase, but we are in a very small minority, even in a community like this where nearly everyone drinks craft beer - among the general population, we're barely a blip, probably well under 1%.

I started on Unibroue's Trois Pistoles... I basically looked up highly rated beers from Canada on the Internet before buying my first beer (I'm 27 in a few weeks). It's a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, so I agree his use of the word "everybody" is incorrect, since it doesn't get much more un-BMC than that, but I think he already explained that he didn't mean LITERALLY everybody. He probably could have picked a better phrase, but we are in a very small minority, even in a community like this where nearly everyone drinks craft beer - among the general population, we're barely a blip, probably well under 1%.

Yeah, saying everybody started with BMC is like saying everybody is born with 10 toes. Obviously there's a few people out there that are +/-. Obviously here on this forum you're more likely to encounter the less than 1% that DIDN'T start there. Not sure they really all have to chime in though.

My friend's mom told me when I first started brewing, that she doesn't think I'll ever brew anything that will beat Bud Lite. Pretty confident that with the exception of the porter that I destroyed when the mash boiled that every beer I've made has been better than that.

Hahah sorry to work everyone up with a choice of words... the whole point of the post was to say that BMC drinkers can be lead away from BMC with craft beer in response to someone's other post.

laste night on an on line game my wife & I play, me & someone else were talking about Schell's. I mentioned that I had some of their barley wine aging in the basement. someone else popped in & said, "Why would you age it? It won't gain any flavor. Beer is like whiskey, once it's bottled it never changes." my reply, "Uh, yeah it does. High gravity beers can can change a lot. Aging gives all the different flavors time to meld together." then come to find out all this person's expert info came from a tour of Jack Daniels or some crap. this was not verbatim as I may have been partaking in "the odd drink or two".

How is the barleywine? I also am a Minnesnowtan. Live pretty close to the brewery too.

Hahah sorry to work everyone up with a choice of words... the whole point of the post was to say that BMC drinkers can be lead away from BMC with craft beer in response to someone's other post.

Here's a tip. Be more careful next time. Nobody here can take a joke.

:ban:

Heard a guy at the LHBS ask his buddy,"how much citrus so I have to use to call it a 'citra' beer?"
His buddy's answer,"depends, what kind of citrus you gonna use?"

bleme said:
I read that as "candy-coat everything and only tell me what I want to hear or I might cry"

Although, to be fair, this is a pure assumption on my part. If I really cared, I could look at his other posts and see what he is complaining about. Today I just don't care that much.

Latest posts

Back