Connecting wort chiller to faucet??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeeman

Reaction score
I know this has probably been discussed previously but I haven't been able to find any sites that offer any way to connect a wort chiller to a faucet. I've found very good articles on connecting hoses to faucet and connect wort chillers to the tubing underneath the sink itself but none on connecting it directly to the faucet.

Anyways I'm trying to connect 1/2" ID tubing to my faucet. I was hoping someone knew of a barbed faucet connection that I could buy online somewhere. Thanks.

I got my adapter (adapted the tubing that came with my chiller, don't know the exact diameter) from Midwest. It screws right up to the kitchen faucet, once the ærator has been removed. Haven't used it in around 4 years since I switched to AG, moved outside, and started using the garden hose.

On a 3/8 ID setup, I used a Garden hose to faucet adapter, then on my hose(1/2 in ID) from the chiller i used a hose end that makes a single stream. Got it at home depot. use a hose clamp to attach the vinyl hose to the garden hose end.

017.jpg

Is there enough water pressure comming from the faucet for the wort chiller to work effectively?

More than enough in most homes. You don't want to run your chiller at full blast from the garden hose. It's works better with a slower flow to allow the heat to transfer to the outgoing water.

Yeah the water pressure in my house is good. I don't see there being an issue.

UPDATE: Stopped by lowes to pick up the pieces. This is the result:
lQVSvd3.jpg

Beats having to do this:
HRoNhdg.jpg

(picture from my first batch that I made a week ago)

"run water slower to allow heat to transfer?". I did pass thermodynamics in college....but I'm still no expert. that advice seems better at saving on ones water bill and being good to the ecology than it is at accurately describing heat transfer. run the cool water faster and it will cool wort faster would be my guess.

...if you run the water more slowly, you will be able to feel the heat in the water more easily with your hand....but the total heat transfer rate from the wort would be less not more.

I run the cold water slower to control the temp of the beer on the other end. Slower water = warmer beer. At least that's what I've experienced. And yeah kitchen sink pressure is more than enough. I have to slow it down so that I don't get 60 degree wort.

Back