Universal Beer Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy only one set of glasses for now (4 pack). What is the most universal shape for just about any beer style? I was thinking something like these:

image-931972835.jpg

If you're just starting out, and want a "universal" glass, then yes the American Pint would probably be the way to go, or even the British Nonic Pints.

If you're drinking ales then that's the way to go....

I'd go with a Nonic pint glass or a tulip pint, myself. American shaker pints don't do anything positive for aroma. My go-to glass is a nonic pint, but if I am having a more formal tasting session then something with a little bit of a tulip shape is the way to go.

don't let anyone tell you that shape doesn't matter :) The geometry of a glass has a huge impact on aroma perception and dictates exactly how the liquid hits your tongue.

don't let anyone tell you that shape doesn't matter :) The geometry of a glass has a huge impact on aroma perception and dictates exactly how the liquid hits your tongue.

I agree totally. I have everything imaginable. And it might not be too surprising for me to dirty 3-4 different glasses in an all day session.

Classic pint or nonic pint as a starting point, but I agree - different glasses do add to the perception of certain styles.

I'd buy a set of American Pints and a set of Tulips. American Pints are awesome for anything, but the tulips IMHO bring out the best in many big beers (ie: RIS, IIPA, Quads, Tripels).

I find myself reaching for my Tulip and Tulip Pint glasses all the time... Standard Pint glasses are good for bar glasses because they're easy to clean and they stack easily, so bars can stock tons of 'em, but they don't really do anything for your beer. Most of us probably have a ton of souvenier pint glasses from various breweries and brew pubs though. I definitely try to look for Tulip glasses as souveniers nowadays.

Yeah I like the Sam Adams glasses. I use one pretty frequently at home, although I have shakers, tulips, etc. too. I don't buy any glassware for beer drinking, though. I have received some as gifts (a couple Sam Adams, an imperial nonic and some shakers), but more often get them as promotional materials at various beer events. In fact I have kind of stopped attending most of those types of events over the last couple of years because I always end up bringing home more free glassware, and my cabinet is already overflowing with the stuff.

Of course, my wife recently broke my Ayinger glass, so I DO need to keep on the lookout for a good replacement for that as it was a good size to fit in the cabinet, but still a good shape for weissbiers.

Cool beans, those Sam Adams ones look pretty nice. Hopefully they're not too pricey

Standard pint or straight sided mug for sessioning, pokal/tulip type shape for sampling. Whenever I sample a new beer I find myself going for a tulip.

good lord.

I've used coffee mugs.

edit.
I just ordered some of these and I was hoping I could get the logo off.
has anyone tried the starsan soak and let it dry a couple times trick with sam adams glasses? it works with some painted bottles.

I have a ton of mason jars sitting around, I might just use those until I find something clearanced somewhere. Those Sam Adams ones are nice, but out of my price range unfortunately.

good lord.

I've used coffee mugs.

edit.

has anyone tried the starsan soak and let it dry a couple times trick with sam adams glasses? it works with some painted bottles.

Seen shaving mugs used in an emergency. No big whoop tee dee.

I have a ton of mason jars sitting around, I might just use those until I find something clearanced somewhere. Those Sam Adams ones are nice, but out of my price range unfortunately.

Got any blue tinted bail tops? I'd be interested in a few for old times sake.

Sam Adams glasses get my vote. They are expensive, but genuinely make beer taste better. They're awesome. I only have two and I reach for them before any other glass.

Agreed on American pints can be very utilitarian, However lately I have been using wider mouthed brandy glasses. The one I have now you can drink and inhale at the same time allows for an awesome taste experience.

If I go to a party, or to taste homebrew/craftbeer, I always take my Sam Adams Perfect Pint. It works well with pretty much any style, IMO.

The teku glass is the "must have" beer glass for the discerning beer aficionados on Beer Advocate and Ratebeer right now. The beer tastes and smells twice as good out of the Lost Abbey teku and four times better out of a Three Floyds teku. However, the teku glass without a logo only tastes and smells 1.5 times better than a standard pint glass. This is art and science, so don't argue.

july2012sam2.jpg

001.JPG

JLem said:
Personally, if i had to choose just one, I like a squat tulip glass for any style.

I'm with JLem. I think a nice round tulip is the universal style because it can handle Belgians and more exotic beers as well as things that are typically poured into characterless pint glasses.

I have tons of glasses, 75 to 100 I'd bet, but my Mad Elf tulips and believe it or not the Stella Artois glasses (that my wife got free from some website) are my biggest go to's. Both are rastal... some of the best beer glasses IMO.

I have about every style on that chart. 90% of the time, I'm using a American Pint. If I have a strong Belgian, I'll pull out the tulip; lagers usually get a mug. Porters, stouts and IPA's are my staples...all go in standard American pints.

I second the nonic or american pint. There is something about the feel of a Nonic Imperial Pint glass that feels really good in your hand though.

Personally, if i had to choose just one, I like a squat tulip glass for any style.

agreed my preferred glass for tasting and drinking

also the tulip pint is a good standard

that being said even in a real English pub in London most beer comes in a standard shaker pint glass these days

Back